The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default How to connect line to leader?

I am new to fly fishing and have been looking at how to connect line to leader. Today I bought the Cortland kit where you use a piece of heat shrink tubing to connect a loop to the end of the line, where you can then change leaders easier. Is this a good system?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to connect line to leader?

I had one of those connectors that came with a Cortland line, and it makes adding a loop to the end of your line infuriating.... It's much easier (and better) to add a 10-12 inch length of .021" mono to the end of your fly line using a nail knot. After that simple procedure, add a perfection loop to the end of the mono section to make loop-to-loop connections with your leader. It's best to leave a bit extra length until you've made a good nail knot. Don't make the perfection loop too large: 3/8"-1/2" is plenty. A needle nail knot or Zap-a-Gap connection both make an even more smooth connection bwtween the mono and fly line, but the nail knot will get you started. Most people will suggest you seal the end of the fly line with a CA type adhesive, and that will help prevent water from migrating up through the line's core.

P.S. You can also loop the fly line end over itself, and make your own loop end. I prefer this method (and lines that come with a factory loop), and it's not very difficult to do. Here's a thread in which a few methods for adding a loop are discussed/demonstrated: Making a loop on your Fly Line.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

Opinions vary, but...

I have those Cortland loops on every line I own. I have experimented with several different methods of connecting line to leader and Cortland leader loops won. They aren't the easiest to install, but they were easy to connect to, have never failed me, and pass through the guides on my rods pretty well.

Just because I don't like cutting or knotting line, I'd advise you to try one out. If it doesn't work for you, then you can split the heat shrink and work the loop off without damaging the line. Most other methods will require you to cut some line to remove them.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stroud View Post
Opinions vary, but...
Well said.
On my fly line that does not have a loop I took some suggestions from other members here and nail knotted a 6" piece of Amnesia to my fly line then tied a perfection loop in order to attach my leader. Turns over perfectly with no hinging effect. Plus the different colored Amnesia works as a built in strike indicator while nymphing.
My half-nickel....

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 PM

gwozdz is on a distinguished road

When I got an Orvis line they had folded over the tip of the fly line about an inch and a quarter and secured it with 3 nail knots equally spaced. Super strong and easy through the guides. I used a jumbo paper clip straightened out. That's all I use now for both ends of my fly lines. Also, for your backing learn to tie a biminy knot to make it easier to put on and take off fly lines.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Hey famill,

I use the Cortland loop, but you need to be very careful or you will melt your line. But if you can get it to adhere without messing up your line, they work really well.

As Frank mentioned, another really good way is to nail knot a bit of mono to the line and then make the perfect loop.

Also, if you decide to double the line over and bind it with thread, make sure you put a nice amount of glue on the thread. I used to do that method, until I had one unravel on me....
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Like Frank2B and Cattech89 said.

Forget Cortland's heat-shrinkable connections. You've got a great chance of ruining your fly line if you overheat (easy to do, with no real instructions) and if not, you lose your leader because the connection didn't hold. Far easier to tie a Nail Knot. Best to tie an appropriate weight 18" length of red Amnesia (say, 20-24 weight) with a Nail Knot to your fly line, then, if you are into loop connections (I'm not), tie a Perfection or other loop at the other end of the Amnesia to connect your leader.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:08 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Funny story. I just checked and the line I got (Scientific Anglers GPX) has the streamlined loop at the end... So, I guess I won't be needing this type of connector anymore.....
Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Here is a good website showing a couple different methods http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/ just click on the link below each pictures for direction
Old 12-23-2010, 11:34 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Best to tie an appropriate weight 18" length of red Amnesia (say, 20-24 weight) with a Nail Knot to your fly line, then, if you are into loop connections (I'm not), tie a Perfection or other loop at the other end of the Amnesia to connect your leader.
I like the idea of the red Amnesia. Gives you an indicator as well.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog