The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 12:52 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default My favorite spring creek

Hearts creek is my favourite spring creek. It normally has clear water and consistent flow (it rarely floods). There are good numbers of mid sized fish two to five pounds, with a good chance of fish up to twelve pounds. The river has improved significantly, from local inactivates and work by local farmers (stock is fenced from the river bed now) lets hope that other rivers receive the same treatment.

Most of the fish I catch during the day are two to four pounds. This is the first time I have made it to hearts creek this year, it normally fishes better for me after Christmas. Most fish it with streamers and lures, but I enjoy nymphs and dries on this creek, sight fishing has always been more appealing to me.

Click the image to open in full size.
this is normaly where I start from

Above the walk way to bird hide, the casting is difficult with some inventive casting necessary. There are some good pools to fish, with very few riffles (with most being closer to the bird hide end of this reach). This section receives much less pressure than the lower reaches, and normally I fish it alone not seeing anyone else. (For access most of the land owners are happy to let anyone fish the river if you ask).

a small fish above bird hide

some bigger fish above bird hide

From the bridge to the walkway to the mouth into Lake Elsmere there is some excellent fishing. Most of the big fish are taken close to the mouth at night, but there is some great sight fishing from the mouth to the bridge. Casting is easy if the wind is not too strong (the NW is the prevailing wing and would be at your back at an angle and blowing very strong), there is little in the way of obstacles’ (but you need to be careful with your back cast because it is a public walkway and you don’t want to hook some one).

the bird hide walkway
what the water looks like

I was to fish the Selwyn river but once started I was reminded that over Christmas people use it as an off road challenge! After a half hour walk I saw two fish, four people on horse back in the river (in two groups) and a dirt bike. With memories of past trips with countless 4WD trucks in the river, I decided to leave before I got too upset.

a breeding pair of native brown teal ducks

The fishing was more enjoyable, where the other users were anglers and bird watchers or families. I started with my usual nymph for this river a small caddis larva nymph with no response form the intended target. I changed to a blue dun wet and still no luck, not having my streamer box got me trying things I would have left in the box on other occasions. (In hind sight I should have tried a blow fly humpy being next to a dairy farm).

Then the Coch-y-bondhu wet went on and on the first cast results, a good fish come up of the bottom about six feet and gently took it. After a poor hook up the fish got off with out a fight, after a few small ones hit it coming across the river and got off. I met another angler gave him some nymphs to try later, and helped confirm his fly choice a small white smelt fly similar to a Brunton #2. I met some other anglers as I was leaving for home they were there for the night (I had to be home on time or else!).

one last shot of the river for JP

It was a great day and I will be going back as soon as I can after Christmas!

Chris.

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My favorite spring creek

Chris,
Looks like a little peice of heaven!
Here, we have a little snow left laying around, but it's really been pretty nice out: 30's-40 (F) and sunny off and on with out much wind. I really should be getting out. I'm gonna have to go back to that "Will you fish during the winter" thread and 'fess up.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report Christhanks for the last piclooks like there must be some fish behind the immersed branches
Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Jojer I do fish during winter but not very much all the best rivers will be closed to protect them for spawning, but the south branch of the waimakariri can be worth a look especialy before spring (for sea run browns) last time I went there it was pouring down in winter it will get that cold but there isnt normally any snow just frost so after midday it will warm up above freezing

Thanks JP

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 12-23-2010, 03:49 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Beautiful Chris! That looks like my kind of stream.
Thanks for sharing.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-23-2010, 06:20 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Chris, that is a beautiful piece of water...

Dan
Old 12-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: Great report and photos, that water sure looks like a great fishing destination! Those undercut banks look too tempting! I just wish it wasn't so far! Don't let JP know the exact location, he loves sight fishing!

Larry

Larry
Old 12-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Chris what are the GPS coordinates?jk Looks like a beautiful place fish.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Chris,

I am a spring creek person by choice and I was born in spring creek country. That trout didn't look too small to me

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice piece of water chris.

casey

ARFE