The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 AM

BigSky is on a distinguished road
Default Question regarding the use of swivels.

I was reading an article on nymphing and came across one wherein a guy described his use of swivels. Does anybody else use swivels with their fly gear? Below is his explaination. I'm having trouble visualizing it based on his explaination. Can anybody clerify it for me?

"This is where a lot of folks have their own ideas, and I won't argue the point. I'll just tell you how I do it and why... At this point I slide a snap swivel up onto the Butt Section, typically a black #10. After that, I tie on a black #10 barrel swivel to the end of the butt section using an improved clinch knot. (Many anglers will slide a bead up behind the snap to protect the knot and get better rotation out of the snap. I've done it both ways and haven't found much of a difference if you clip the knot tight.)
The reasons for the sliding swivel are many, but here are just a few. Using a snap swivel will allow you to tie off some mono and use shot or hollow lead, but it also gives you the option of using a slinky when stealth is required or your hanging up too much. Attaching the weight directly to the line or a three way creates line twist and forces the fish to actually lift the weight off the bottom of the river before the hit is felt on the rod tip. A sliding system allows the slack to be taken up without that, hits are felt much better and line twist becomes minimal..."
Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question regarding the use of swivels.

"This is where a lot of folks have their own ideas, and I won't argue the point. I'll just tell you how I do it and why... At this point I slide a snap swivel up onto the Butt Section, typically a black #10. After that, I tie on a black #10 barrel swivel to the end of the butt section using an improved clinch knot. (Many anglers will slide a bead up behind the snap to protect the knot and get better rotation out of the snap. I've done it both ways and haven't found much of a difference if you clip the knot tight.)
The reasons for the sliding swivel are many, but here are just a few. Using a snap swivel will allow you to tie off some mono and use shot or hollow lead, but it also gives you the option of using a slinky when stealth is required or your hanging up too much. Attaching the weight directly to the line or a three way creates line twist and forces the fish to actually lift the weight off the bottom of the river before the hit is felt on the rod tip. A sliding system allows the slack to be taken up without that, hits are felt much better and line twist becomes minimal..."[/quote]

Whenever I bass fish with a spinning rod I always use a snap swivel for the ease of rerigging & I like to use a sliding bullet weight with rubber worms. I have used a barrel swivel with the flyrod back when I started with a flyrod & was fishing bait. I mainly did this to avoid line twist & like you said , to add a slinky or just a peice of mono with split shot on it. I'd just tie a overhand knot in the end of the peice of mono to give a little more resistance to the shot as it inevitably slipped off.. I know some people who do like you said but they use barrel swivels. One friend uses a barrel swivel with a dropper off the top ring a 10" peice of mono to another swivel with another dropper off the top of that & the point fly or split shot hanging off the bottom. He claims to get less tangles that way but I don't think so. He does catch his share of fish though. I see no disadvantage to rigging that way unless somehow, somewhere it's illegal.
I usually tie a dropper to the eye of the top fly & a fly to that with a dropper tied to the bend of that hook with either a fly or weight on that. Sometimes I'll leave a long tag end on my last tippet knot & put the weight to that.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
I usually tie a dropper to the eye of the top fly & a fly to that with a dropper tied to the bend of that hook with either a fly or weight on that.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
......I mainly did this to avoid line twist & like you said.....
......I know some people who do like you said but they use barrel swivels.....
Thanks for the response; but, I must clerify. This isn't my information. This is information I quoted from someone else. Hence, my question, can anybody give me a better explaination of what the author is describing? I'm quite obtuse don't ya know.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:39 PM

Hey guys I found my own answer (with a picture to boot). Apparently this is a method used for drift fishing for steelhead or salmon. If you've read my post and want to see a visual, follow the link below.
Fly Fishing for Beginners - Google Book Search
Old 03-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Big Sky,

I ran into that rig style in upstate NY. in the early nineties. I was interested in trying anything that might improve my chances of catching Great Lakes steelhead so I tried the rig. I even went with the running line to allow a longer range "Chuck & Duck" after about five minutes with the setup on the water I was taking it apart and off of my $400 fly rod and reel. I felt kind dumb for doing it.

It's up to each fisherman to make their own decision but for me swivels, snaps, slinky's and running line were not even close to fly fishing. If the fish are in water that deep and swift that I need a rig like the swivel and snap deal then I'll just have a spinning rod & reel please, it'll be a lot easier and I wont feel like I'm pounding the square peg into the round hole all day.

My answer was to find a place where there were more steelhead & less people. I like to sight fish to them as they move from lie to lie with standard wet fly patterns and I have no need for hardware, perhaps a splitshot now and then if the depth calls for it.

Keep it real dude,

Ard