The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trout in an aquarium.

Some states dont care how you get them. Keeping what the state considers a game fish is illegal no matter how you do it.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, email the DNR and find out if it's legal then if you still decide to do it, set-up the tank right.

Also, don't take them from the few streams in the Metro area, any trout that are surviving should be left to reproduce. It would be a shame to contribute to their demise. Part of brown trout history in the US.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:04 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Ive thought about this once or twice, even kinda figured out a way to run a heat exchanger inside an old (garage) refrigerator (drill some holes, exchanged in the fridge) In the end, the problem is still that trout like to rise/jump and the grow fast so I figured 50 gallons was not enough, even if it was legal - which I am not sure it is anymore.

Hopefully someday I will again have a place with a stream or a pond that I can stock with trout, but for now I have to be happy with just going to the local river or lakes.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I have kept all kinds of fish from marine to very rare and exotic species. If I was going to keep trout, I would keep them in no smaller than a 180g and would probably have it half filled with water and have good plant cover above the water. I would also only do it if it could be done legally. I definitely would not release them in to the wild which is illegal here but more importantly dangerous due to diseases that could be transmitted to the other fish in the stream or river.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the half filled idea. I tried Perch once. It didn't take a week and they were all dead from head blasting the glass top, except the one that managed to jump out of the hole where the filter went through the top. Perch are not nearly as "Jumpy" as Trout are, and it was a disaster. When I was a kid we had a small Largemouth in an aquarium. My sister caught him on a field trip with school and cried when he got hooked. She drug him home in an empty milk carton. We named him. He survived for a long time and was pretty smart for a fish. He took stuff out of Mom's fingers. Even my Mom cried when he died. He lived for several years though. Not sure what killed him, but Mom found him floating belly up, and when I got home she was crying and trying to work him.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Dan. With a 180g even just half full, it is as deep or even a little deeper than some places I have caught trout so it would be ok with proper flows and a good chiller. Less water is easier to keep cool WITH a chiller but without a chiller, less water heats up a lot faster and the temperature fluctuation is hard to keep under control. If you really want natives, do sun fish. They require smaller tanks, no chiller and have personality unlike trout. They are a lot like cichlids and there are some really cool species. Green sunfish are a favorite but they are fairly aggressive so if keeping more than one give them room and I would say do at least 4 so it isn't just one fish bullying the other.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Video? Pictures?
Sorry I've not owned that land for years, the ponds were shaded well but it's my thought that they died from the acid droped from redwood trees and I did not have enough water turn over.

Rick
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 PM

flyfisher4life1 is on a distinguished road

I talked to a Michigan hatchery, I asked if it is legal in MI to put hatchery bought trout in a fish tank. They said it is legal, but you can't release them without a permit.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher4life1 View Post
I talked to a Michigan hatchery, I asked if it is legal in MI to put hatchery bought trout in a fish tank. They said it is legal, but you can't release them without a permit.
I'd get them big enough to eat and keep the reciept for the week they will still be alive.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM

flyfisher4life1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'd get them big enough to eat and keep the reciept for the week they will still be alive.
Why not lol. If it does not work and the fish dies (which I highly doubt), I will just eat it and get some other type of fish.