The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default Re: Trout in an aquarium.

Here is a problem for you. If you have a closed season in Michigan, it is illegal to keep any game fish during the closed season. I ralize you are likely to do it anyways, I just wanted to point out that it is potentially against the law.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

If it dies soon after you get it, how will it be big enough to eat? Putting a fish big enough to eat in an 80 gallon tank after it has been in huge tanks is cruel in itself. I thought you planned on getting hatchlings.

I think Dan is saying to keep the receipt for the short period the fish will survive so you have proof that you bought it from the hatchery.

Was it a state hathery you spoke to or a private one? I can't imagine a state run hatchery is willing to sell trout to someone without a permit.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM

flyfisher4life1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Here is a problem for you. If you have a closed season in Michigan, it is illegal to keep any game fish during the closed season. I ralize you are likely to do it anyways, I just wanted to point out that it is potentially against the law.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

If it dies soon after you get it, how will it be big enough to eat? Putting a fish big enough to eat in an 80 gallon tank after it has been in huge tanks is cruel in itself. I thought you planned on getting hatchlings.

I think Dan is saying to keep the receipt for the short period the fish will survive so you have proof that you bought it from the hatchery.

Was it a state hatchery you spoke to or a private one? I can't imagine a state run hatchery is willing to sell trout to someone without a permit.
I never send anything on how I was going to get the fish yet, so don't make any assumptions. This is a private hatchery, I'm not sure yet In what size fish they sale, for I just received a reply today. BTW I just want one fish, and when I said "why not lol" I was using it as a yes.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

You said you spoke to a hatchery about putting hatchery bought trout in an aquarium so I didn't assume anything. Even a single fish that is used to being in a pond, river or even thousand gallon holding tanks at the hatchery should't be put in such a small aquariums.

Don't worry, you are young so I don't expect you to do the responsible thing but as an adult and someone that supports protecting our fisheries, I am going to give my opinions as well as share facts about it if it is posted online.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
You said you spoke to a hatchery about putting hatchery bought trout in an aquarium so I didn't assume anything. Even a single fish that is used to being in a pond, river or even thousand gallon holding tanks at the hatchery should't be put in such a small aquariums.

Don't worry, you are young so I don't expect you to do the responsible thing but as an adult and someone that supports protecting our fisheries, I am going to give my opinions as well as share facts about it if it is posted online.
So when you send "Here is a problem for you. If you have a closed season in Michigan, it is illegal to keep any game fish during the closed season. I ralize you are likely to do it anyways," this was not an assumption.....? How are you protecting the fisheries by saying things that I'm not going to do, if I did state I was going to do these action then yes you are, I have not taken a fish from the wild but I'm planning on buying a trout from a private hatchery. Please I'm young but not stupid.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM

Let me be clear. I didn't mean catch a fish in the wild and keep it. Even if you buy the fish, it is illegal to have in your posession (in this case, in your aquarium) during the closed season. This means if you buy it during the open season, you have to get rid of it (releasing it in to the wild is also illegal) before the season closes.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

This post obviously isn't going to go anywhere so I will just end it being happy that the original poster made the right choice.

You have to care about the fish before you can care about the fishery.

Enjoy your trout.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Let me be clear. I didn't mean catch a fish in the wild and keep it. Even if you buy the fish, it is illegal to have in your posession (in this case, in your aquarium) during the closed season. This means if you buy it during the open season, you have to get rid of it (releasing it in to the wild is also illegal) before the season closes.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

This post obviously isn't going to go anywhere so I will just end it being happy that the original poster made the right choice.

You have to care about the fish before you can care about the fishery.

Enjoy your trout.
That would make no sense whatsoever, because you bought the fish from a private hatchery in which is licensed to sell fish for ponds or whatever. Its like saying you bought fish for your "private pond", season is closed you got to get rid of each and every one of those fish. Come on back yourself up... You know I'm right. Well, thank you for your last remark.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 PM

I don't need to back anything up. That is the law in Michigan. You are the one that wants to keep the fish, yet you're the only one that hasn't looked in to the legalities of it. The easiest way to find out what you are doing is legal, is to call DNR and ask.

Even if it was legal, it doesn't make it right. Enjoy your fish while it lasts.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I don't need to back anything up. That is the law in Michigan. You are the one that wants to keep the fish, yet you're the only one that hasn't looked in to the legalities of it. The easiest way to find out what you are doing is legal, is to call DNR and ask.

Even if it was legal, it doesn't make it right. Enjoy your fish while it lasts.
I'm taking about your other remarks not the MI laws. Yes I did some research on subject I posted a reply that I got from a licensed private hatchery some hours ago. So there is no reason for you to say "You are the one that wants to keep the fish, yet you're the only one that hasn't looked in to the legalities of it".
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher4life1 View Post
I got from a licensed private hatchery some hours ago. ........ yet you're the only one that hasn't looked in to the legalities of it".
It did take prompting for a week to get you to do it. I refer you to where I asked if you checked and you said "nope".
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM

attackone is on a distinguished road

i bought a rainbow last year from a live bait dealer (he was selling them as live bait for striped bass)....i have had mine for over a year now and its doing just fine, i feed it minnies for a local pond that is full of them...the tank stays around 68 degrees and its just as livily as can be