The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Trout in an aquarium. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/85756-trout-aquarium.html)

roryseiter 12-23-2010 06:45 PM

Trout in an aquarium.

Our local library has tour in a large aquarium with some trout. I know a fly shop that has a few trout in an aquarium behind the counter. There are rumors of a guy keeping trout in a huge (few hundred gallon) tank until the local bears became interested.

Has anyone here had any experience keeping trout at home? I am considering it. No, I am not interested in the laws that would forbid this without permits. I have never been asked for my fishing license, but that is a topic for another post.

This empty 55 gallon tank is staring at me...

Thanks!

merkin_muffley 12-23-2010 07:18 PM

Re: Trout in an aquarium.

It's doable, but difficult.

You're going to need a chiller to keep the water temperature low enough to support trout.

Some species are more adaptable than others (brook trout would probably be the easiest) but remember that all trout are fairly territorial, so you'd only be able to keep a couple fish, even in a large 55 gallon tank.

Good luck!

mojo 12-23-2010 07:33 PM

A big aerator should be in the picture too.

lancer09 12-23-2010 07:54 PM

Realisticly it's not going to work. You could run the 55 for a little bit but you would need to upgrade quickly, especially if you have more than one. You would need a chiller and a good bubble disk. For filtration you would probably need a couple cannisters like fluvals or renas. You could alwasy build your own plywood take and go from there so you can make the dimensions which is alwasy cool. but keep in mind they will be a tough tough fish to keep, especially if you catch them from the wild and you would have to cycle the water for probably a couple of months before you added the actual fish.

Guest1 12-23-2010 09:15 PM

I have a bit of experience in the aquarium area. I have learned most things like trout do not do well in a home aquarium. Even if you keep it cool enough for them not to croak, there is the jumping they like to do at food. This does not go to well with glass tops and worse yet the holes they might make it out and on to the floor through. I have lost a few these ways.
Save yourself the headaches and think about a more aquarium worthy type fish. And don't do salt unless you live near a place like Seaworld where you can get good saltwater. Mixing it yourself has a whole other set of spendy problems. I have a lot of good stories on the salt aspects of this.

Rip Tide 12-23-2010 09:31 PM

To tell the truth, I think that it might be far more interesting to raise trout foods such as mayflies, caddis, or stoneflies instead of keeping fish.
Some of the most important fly fishing discoveries that I've ever read about had to do with observations and photographs of insects in aquariums

troutdoorsman 12-23-2010 09:53 PM

I have a forty gallon tank in my tying area that I did have a little rainbow trout in for a short period of time and he did not like it all all so I had to let him go. It is very tough to keep trout alive in a home setting. It can also be very expensive. Water chilling systems alone are around $600 for a decent one. It can be costy but very cool. I have been collecting weedy rocks from the riffles on the Truckee for the bug life since letting him go and it has helped my tying drastically. I have seen everything from midges, caddis, stoneflies and some baetis grow and hatch right in my garage. I caught a few crayfish and even a mountain sucker for it. I recommend the buglife over the fish hands down for the knowledge aspect alone.

roryseiter 12-24-2010 06:15 PM

Thanks for all of the tips. Despite being in a basement in Colorado with no sunlight, the water temp in the tank is around 68 degrees. That seems too high to keep trout happy, so it looks like I will be at the pet store getting "normal" fish.
Rory

Guest1 12-24-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roryseiter (Post 183802)
I will be at the pet store getting "normal" fish.
Rory

You have choosen wisely.

lancer09 12-25-2010 12:58 AM

Those "normal" fish will more than likely neeed a heater, just an fyi. your fish will be happier, prettier and healthier. I keep two aquariums in my room and aside from fishing it is one of my greatest hobbies.

Ones a guppy breeder tank which then people buy for feeders etc. the other is a 37 gal low tech planted tank with rainbows, tetras, loaches, danios, rasboras and a guppy.

If you plan on going salt, go big, 55 minimum to start. with salt water problems are greatly expounded in a small tank because it goes bad so much quicker, in a larger volume of water you can catch the problem and fix it before any real harm occurs.

Also, make sure when buying fish they are compatible and wont tear each other to shreds, I hate seeing cramped aquariums that are just unhealthy for peoples so called prized fish.