The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 12:23 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default All Furled up

I finally made the Furling jig & made up a few furled leaders. I had a 900yd. spool of 4# test & I figured I'd practice with that. I basically like the way they came out but I'm not too sure how to end them. On the small end of the individual furls, What's the best way to end the wrap around the peg. What's a visual indication that you have twisted each side enough? How do you put a loop on the finished leaders.
When I ended the last one I made, after I twisted the two lengths together & thought I was finished the larger end was still too lightly twisted to just use as a loop. How do you know when to stop twisting.. Thank's in advance

Neil
Old 03-25-2009, 04:41 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: All Furled up

I just make a overhand knot to tie off the thread(or mono in this case) and smear a tiny amount of super glue to make sure it holds. After a few tries, I figured that when each side is about 8 inches shorter after twisting they were wound tight enough so I made marks on each side of the jig. I then use a weight hooked on both strands, unhook everything from the pegs and let it twist until it stops. The simplest way I found to finish the loop on both ends is to fold it over and whip finish with tying thread, cover the wrappings with superglue or head cement.

Commercial furled leaders use tiny metal rings on the small end, but I haven't found any around here. I might just use the eye from a xfine dry fly hook.

Hope this helps. By the way if you go on hipwader.com, somebody made a good write-up on furling jigs. Sorry I didn't put the link, I'm just too lazy.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM

dman will become famous soon enough

I twist until just before pigtailing because I want as tight a furl as possible.
Many folks twist until the legs have shortened 10%...but materials differ.

Here's how to make a Shorb loop....

http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/pdf/h...shorb-loop.pdf
Old 03-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you have something holding open a loop at both ends. For example I took one of those plastic push pins but I sanded the end so I can get the loops off easier. Now that is the large end where you have two that you put together. The small end or the "V", I use an "S" hook with a weight ball for furling. Then I slide a piece of medium wire through on top of the "S" /weight after it has stopped furling.
I fold the wire in half and now have a sort of needle to thread though the loop at the large end. Pull the line all the way through with a loop formed at the end to do my shorb loop.
After completing the shorb on the LINE end I do the same thing at the wire end.
I have a vertical nail. I wrap the wire around it which now allows me to twist the end of the leader to form a small loop with which I now use a knit picker tool to grab the LINE loop end of the leader and pull it through.

I have got to make video of this stuff LOL.
Don't forget you have RINGS you can use on the tippet end or, attach a tippet right to the end loop and forget about it.

I go with the 10% and have been happy with that. Anymore and it can break and I don't notice the furling being any tighter, it can only get so tight.
4lb mono is a bit much to me unless you are make leaders for big game. 2 lb will give you a plenty strong leader. remember that is 2 lb X 6 or three depending on how you do the end...I like the 6.

I make mine out of 6/0 Uni Thread, or .005 Coats and Clarks Nylon, or Uni 4m Mono.
Very light and strong and they do cast them self.....Oh yeah, even a couple of SILK ones...thems NICE!!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:15 PM

catman is on a distinguished road

Joni, I agree 6/0 uni threads are the best
Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 PM

dman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Joni, I agree 6/0 uni threads are the best
You talking dry and wet?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. A little Xink to sink and a little muclin to float. Again, shore mud works great for sinking also then washes away.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:06 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone, I added reps....
I was using the 4# mono because that's what I had & I figured I'd practice with it. I made another & it came out pretty good & I managed to do a shorb loop on both ends. I then tried one with white 6/0 Uni thread & had trouble on the small end so I tied a Duncan loop & coated it with softex.. I like the mono look & I have more faith in it's strength so I'll make a few with 2# tippet material...... I will make some more with uni thread to try....What colors are the best??? Like I said I made one with white uni thread & I have another spool of black I'm going to try.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 AM

I like Olives, Rusty Dun, Brown, Lt. Cahill, Tan, Gray...Neutral colors.