The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 09:57 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Only Two More Days!

Hey Famill00,

How about posting a picture of your new fly tying set up once you get it set up?

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 12-25-2010, 03:20 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Can do! I have managed to tie 3 wooly buggers this afternoon. Here in about an hour we have more family activities planned so the rest of the day is pretty busy.

I will make sure to post pics as soon as I can!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

WB's are definitely the way to start!

The rotary vise will make it much easier for you to get a good body (chenille and the palmered hackle). Looking forward to seeing your first flies; most of us still remember ours. Mine was a WB; olive marabou tail, olive chenille body and brown palmered hackle. I did manage to catch a fish on it!

Pocono
Old 12-25-2010, 11:48 PM

Can someone please help me on how to post photos? I bet there is a thread somewhere....
Old 12-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I looked for the thread but did not find it so here goes;

Open a photo bucket account. To do this type photo bucket into your search page and hit enter.

The registration is simple and you will be able to upload pictures from your desktop to your new photo bucket album.

Once the pictures are in a photo bucket album you need to figure out how to copy the url information from the photos with a right click of your mouse.

I can not explain exactly how your screen or account will look so this will be up to you to figure out. When you can get the url to copy you then just switch windows to this page and the thread you want to post to.

Hint, use the 'Go Advanced' feature here when posting pictures because you will be able to pre view the post to be sure your photos copied to the thread.

To insert a picture here click on the icon on the menu bar above the message reply box that looks like mountains with a moon over them.

A window will drop down for you. Hit back space to erase the stuff in that box and put your cursor there and right click, now choose paste. Now hit OK and the window will disappear.

What you will see is a bunch of url information on your message, this is where "pre view" comes in handy. Click pre view post at the bottom of the message area.

You will be re-directed to a copy of your message and if all is right hit submit new message. If things are not all right it's back to the learning process for you.

Getting the hang of this is not hard and once you understand it you will find it a breeze.

i hope this makes sense to you and that you are able to figure this out without getting gray hairs over it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 AM

Ok, not sure if this will work, but first three attempts at a fly are listed here!

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/famill00/th_FirstOne.jpg?t=1293342916
http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/famill00/?action=view&current=SecondOne.jpg
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/famill00/th_ThirdOne.jpg?t=1293342916
Old 12-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You are half way there, the link box takes me to the photobucket account and that is better than having a dead end. The real stuff is to get them right here so there is no link, keep after it. The fly looks good!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 12-26-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:03 AM

Ok maybe this is better!

First one looks pretty rough....

Second one I think looks a lil bit better...

Third one I added weight, a brass head, and a little wire for flash..

Let me know what you think!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very good start, Famil.

I think that they'll all catch fish and I particularly like your beadhead, copper wire body fly. They look a lot better than my first WB's!

You've also mastered Photobucket!

Keep at it. I was once told by an old ex-tyer (tied for Abercrombie and Fitch in NYC for decades) that you never really master any pattern until you've tied a dozen dozen. I think that's a bit over-the-top, but if you tie up 12 of the same fly; you'll be amazed at the difference between the first one and the last one!

Try two marabou plumes for the tail and as you wind the hackle up the body between the chenille wraps, make sure that the stem of the hackle doesn't twist as you wind.

Nice Christmas present! Time to go fishing!

Pocono