The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 11:38 AM

FlySouth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing in Texas???

I have suspicion that soon after moving to Houston trout may end up being the last thing on your mind.

The only native trout in the state are in the Guadalupe Mtns. (way out West) and they are still protected as I understand it. The Guadalupe River is a hot spot as others have already indicated.

In Houston though, you will be less than one hour from Trinity Bay and Galveston Bay that offer plenty of public access to the bay systems. The upper coast is typically more windy and muddy, but there is plenty of fly fishing oppurtunity....even sight casting on foot.

An hour and a half away will get you to Matagorda Bay which you will find is already much more clear than Trinity / Galveston. 2.5 hours away will put you in Rockport on Aransas Bay and 3 hours will put you in Corpus on the upper Laguna Madre.

As for freshwater, most any pond will likely hold blue gill and largemouth bass and the oppurtunities are limitless.

There are also plenty of fly shops in the city to get you started. There are wo Orvis shops, two Fishing Tackle Unlimited shops, two Bass Pro's, and two I-Fly Angler's Edge shops.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:30 PM

dickensheets is on a distinguished road

I actually used to live in Magnolia, 50 miles north by the Woodlands. I started fly fishing there. You can catch bluegills, bass and even a catfish in the various ponds and streams. AND carp are numerous!! They are a challenge but once you hook your first Carp you will also be hooked so to speak. Extremely strong fish. Most get broken off or cut off cuz my arms got tired or the sun was setting.

Now be careful of snakes. Don't sneak around the bushes in shorts and sandals stalking a carp. Most will run away but snakes are numerous in the "swamps".

Have fun.

ps - my avatar in on the San Jacinto "river" adjacent to I45 and FM 1488. Bass live there along with alligator gar and alligators!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road

Well again great information and I thank all of you for contributing!

I'm getting really excited now! I made a lists of things I have to buy when I get down there and #2 is an 8 wt rod (suppose large reel goes hand in hand with that but maybe I should make that #2.5, haha) so I can fish the coast and get on the redfish I keep hearing about.

Now I'm looking forward to some carp, ocean trout and maybe some of those ponds...never really tried fly fishing a popper or something on still-water.

I'm definitely going to hit up those shops that several of you have kindly recommended.

Thanks again for everything! I'm headed West on Tuesday, so hopefully in the next few months I'll have time to a make a fishing trip and post some pictures of my successes!

-Ben
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Alright, I'm back. PC was off to the head shed for a high colonic.

I hope you like Houston better than I do. (No worries, its quite common)

The Guadalupe trout fishery is the nearest worth talking about. There's a few lakes and ponds closer to Houston where they stock rainbows, but powerbait and boredom generally rule the day there.

You'll have more fun and drive less by focusing on the redfish and specks at the coast, or the LARGE bass in Lake Livingston and Sam Rayburn nearby. Either way, I think you'll be spending more time swinging an 8wt than a 5wt.

I was visiting a buddy in Sealy last week, and the Colorado river near I-10 looked pretty fishy to me. You'd likely need a 14+' spey rod to cover it well, but that sounds like fun to me too.

Oh and folks, there's nothing native about the trout in the Guadalupe. They're put in the river via a tube hanging out of a truck. In good years, some of them survive the summer and exist in the river for two winters, but evidence of trout reproduction within the river has been both quite sparse, and quite recent.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 AM

I definitely plan on fishing an 8 wt more than anything.

I noticed on Texas' natural resources website that there are numerous species of fish in the bay areas around the coast, including rainbow trout apparently, but more notably jack crevalle, tarpon and redfish!

So trout fishing rivers definitely won't be visited much at all, but that coast is going to see me as often as I can make it!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 PM

FlySouth is on a distinguished road

I think you mean speckled trout (specs) rather than bows. The vast majority of coastal fly fishing in Texas is for Redfish and speckled trout.
The other species are pretty rare on the fly.

I highly suggest you read "Fly Fishing the Texas Coast" if you can find it. I'm sure a local library has it. You could also check out "Saltwater Strategies" published by Texas Fish and Game or any other book on wadefishing the Texas Coast. These books will familiarize you with the species, the times of year to fish for them, and where to find them. You can apply the casting and spinning techniques to fly fishing rather easily.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Trout (specks) and Reds can be caught year round, but they are definitely simpler to catch when its warmer.

Spend some time with the folks at Cut Rate on Katy Freeway and Angler's Image on Westheimer and they'll clue you in to where to fish.

Also, you'll want your tongue to sample: Rudy Lechner's at Westheimer and Gessner, Goode Co BBQ, the Pappas places, and Bucee's SW of town.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:07 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

fly fishing in east texas comes in 3 forms. in houston, the saltwater guys have you clued in as to what is your best stuff close by. but pan fishing with 3-5wt rods on the east texas ponds and lakes can also provide great fun yearround. get a pontoon, kickboat, or kayak and you're in business. many a trout fisherman has been easily converted to a bream fisherman by casting hoppers, dries, and beetles to the weedline or near overhanging trees almost yearround in east texas. viscious strikes on every cast and fish that fight like the dickens pound for pound. and tx pan fish get big. bass are caught much in the same fashion with 6-8wt rods on poppers and shallow streamers along banks, structures, and standing timber. and you have tons of fisheries yearround to choose from and pretty cheap licenses.

the guad is nothing special. put-n-take winter trout fishery full of farm-raised trout that die in the summer. membership + lease fees make it fairly expensive, so it's mostly a bmw/mercedes-benz club sort of deal for folks from austin-san antonio.

many texas fly anglers make their way to southeastern oklahoma, northern arkansas, and new mexico and colorado for their trout fixes. you will find that se ok (lower mtn fork) is about a 6 hr drive...same as the guad and FAR superior...from houston. you will find that northern ark is about an 8-9 hour drive and home of north america's finest trophy brown trout river. trip costs there are lower than most destination fisheries, too. and new mexico and colorado offer as fine of rocky mountain and high desert trout fishing opportunities as you can find anywhere.

so look at this as a great opportunity to expand your fly fishing experiences and worldview. you can have all sorts of fun and fish tons of new water for different fish species using different tactics.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 04-04-2009, 01:11 PM

yea i was definitely confused on the rainbow trout. stopped by Orvis and Anglers Edge my first day in Houston and asked about fishing in the area and learned about spotted seatrout and specks.

might have a part-time job with Anglers Edge (iFly) so that would be a great opportunity!

definitely going to check out those restaurants you recommended Cliff and also gonna make my way around the southern mid west here and fish a few other states sooner or later.

thanks again everyone!s