The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 09:20 PM

glc is on a distinguished road
Default epoxy body ants

Good evening.

Brand new to fly fishing and trying to learn how to tie some simple flys......if there is any such thing as a simple fly. mine all look funny!

poking thru several sites i saw a product mentioned to form ant bodies. if i remember correctly, it is by duncan crafts. is a hand moldable epoxy-like material that holds its shape while it dries.

can anyone help me with the name of the stuff?
thanks
glc
Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: epoxy body ants

I think it's called the Gorilla Fly. Made out of Gorilla Glue.

YouTube - Fly Tying: How To Make The Gorilla Fly!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:53 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That was fun to see what he did with that new G-glue. I'm going to get some and experiment.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:52 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Great video .... Thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Foam bodied ants are the simplest to tie. Just buy or make round foam bodies ant tie on a hook, then wind the hackle.

For hard bodied ants I like these:

Click the image to open in full size.

The foam ants are in the left side of the box, middle row. Beetles are on the bottom. The rest are variations on the hard body ant.

Click the image to open in full size.

The hard body ants are made of UV acrylic cured with the UV light below

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tml#post401127

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy