The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 04:14 PM

Dotsonnt will become famous soon enoughDotsonnt will become famous soon enough
Default Scott or TFO?

Ok gus, im between two rods and i reall need help! Im looking for a good 8 weight rod to fish rivers, lakes, and inshore fishing, without paying an arm and a leg! Im between a TFO Pro series 8 weight 9'6", or a Scott V2 8 weight 9". I have held both but im stuch between the two. Help me out fellas, Thanks a ton, Nate
Old 03-26-2009, 04:35 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scott or TFO?

They are both good brand of rods. I have a 4wt Scott A2 and a 4wt TFO Pro. I had the TFO first and then I go a great deal on the Scott so I bought it. Since I bought the Scott is has become my go to rod. I have not even taken the TFO out since I got the Scott. Since I was never using the TFO I just made a deal with a college kid to buy it from me. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the TFO, I just like the Scott better.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I think they are comparable brands. I can tell you what sold me on the TFO. You can buy the TiCrX 8WT for $250 and the two handed conversion kit for $150. The conversion kit is basically two pieces that replace the but section on the 8WT to make it a Spey rod.
If you see a two-handed rod in your future you can't beat that deal, for $400 you get an awesome 8WT and a 7/8WT 11'3" spey rod. I couldn't be happier with the set up.

Temple Fork Outfitters TiCr X Series Fly Rods
Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is, the TiCr and the V2 are apples and oranges. The TiCr is a very fast action. A little F.Y.I. some friends of mine bought the TiCr to practice up for the casting compatition. Every single one of them said it collapses at the tip. Very experienced caster too.
But back to the question. I have a Pro right now and I had several years ago the V2. I sure miss that V2. It is a wonderful rod. Soooo, being someone who has had both, they have a similar flex meaning Medium. Might be a little tuff with allot of weight, but I prefer medium.
My take on the two rods....equal in the flex feel, but I have had to replace the tip section (6" up from ferrule on forth section) TWICE in the past year and a half on the TFO. I cast side arm and I can assure you, I have not clipped the rod. It is the ONLY rod I own and have owned that has broken....TWICE!!! at that. Turn around was quick, but it is now up to an additional $50. on the rod. The Cork fell apart, so I had hubby wrap it with rattan.
The Scott....USA made so a little more attention to detail, just a much better rod.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The Scott gets my vote too. You're talking about a $150 Asian rod versus a $250 or so American made rod. The Scott also comes with the hard tube as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Me too on the Scott---They are a quality product.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:40 AM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

I like Scott rods, made in USA, they have a great warranty and some real crazy reps "Dobson"
Old 03-31-2009, 11:10 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I havent cast either model but I do own a few Scott rods and like them.I have cast a few TFO rods and they never really impressed me.Im curious why you are comparing a 9.5' rod to a 9' one.I would cast both rods in the same length to get a fair comparison.