The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 04:48 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Bass Rod WT

What would be the appropriate wt rod for throwing poppers and other bass flies. I will mostly be pond fishing for 2-3# fish.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:16 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bass Rod WT

A 5 WT can handle the fish but poppers are a pain to cast on a 5WT. A 7WT would make casting poppers a lot easier. Your other option is to substitute a gurgler for a popper. They are a lot easier to throw than poppers, have the same effect and allow you to use a 5/6WT.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

If you are after bass with a fly rod you will eventualy throw big poppers, deerhair mice, big heavy weighted crawdad patterns and all sorts of other bugs that catch the wind like a sail or weigh the same as a small jig. Get a good med-fast to fast action 7 or 8 weight rod. Redington makes a rod called the predator and sage has a bass rod that are both great casters with big flies and bugs. If where you are fishing has tall weeds and grass around it a longer rod like a 9-10 footer helps keep your back cast high and out of the green stuff. The longer the rod though the heaveir it will be after a few hours of casting.
Bear
Old 03-26-2009, 08:16 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I prefer a 6wt for most pond bass but any 6-8wt will do.It really depends on the flies you intend to use.I have gone to gurglers and smaller deer hair bugs so a 6wt suits me fine.The 6wt uplined with an 8wt line works nicely for throwing bigger stuff from my canoe.If the pond is mostly open water I will drop down to a medium/fast 4wt and throw smaller buggers but the 6wt gets the most use.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Those guys are right, it is easier with a longer and heavier wt rod to throw the poppers and stuff. But I just went out today for about an hour and threw poppers around like they were nothing with my 8' 6'' 5wt. I caught about 6 or 7 bass and about the same number of bluegill.
I didn't have a real big problem, it just takes a little time to get used to throwing a big block around. lol

By the time I left (After being there for only an hour or so) I had gotten better at my casting and accuracy with the poppers. The pond I went to had a lot of turtles around on it. I don't like turtles that much, so I was trying to hit some of them or at least hit close to them to make them go away from my fish I was trying to catch. lol I came pretty close to one, and before I could pick up the line again, a big bass had already hit and when I pulled on the line, not knowing he was there, I set the hook on the sucker! haha What good luck!!!

All that was really irrelevant to the topic, but I guess I was just trying to tell you the same thing that everyone else did. You can use a smaller rod, but it will take time to get used to it.

HookEmHorns
Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

if you encounter wind or strong breezes, a 5 may be challenged. go with a 6, 7 or 8. i use a 7 with an 8wt floating bass line (all they had the evening before i left on my first bass trip). works great. i also use a 7wt sink tip for bunny leeches.

if you plan to get into stripers, a 7 or 8 might be best.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:57 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I have an 8 wt that I picked up for Steelhead that I plan on using for the Potomic for smallies. But figured I could get away with somehting smaller on the ponds. Casts won't be long but weeds and brush could be a problem.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:38 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I fished the Potomac for many years with a 6wt with no problems.That rod worked especially good when river levels dropped in summer.Your 8wt will workout when the wind kicks up or you decide to target those tiger muskies.A 7wt is probably the ideal rod but a 6&8 will serve you well.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Replace your poppers with one of these. It was taught to me as a saltwater gurgler but when I tie them in yellow or green the bass go nuts. They throw alot better than huge popper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gurgler.jpg (13.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tony,

You are really getting into fly fishing. The first rods are always confusing. I think you will enjoy getting rods targeted for specific fish and style of fishing.

A 5wt would not be my choice for Bass. Not that it won't land 2 and 3 pound fish but for other reasons. If you are fishing water that offers cover for the fish you need some backbone to the rod to control the fish and keep it out of the weeds and cover. Why buy a rod that you have to pick and choose what flies you want to cast. Bass flies, even gurglers but especially poppers, can be very wind resistant. If you fish bass a lot you will learn that poppers make a lot of commotion on the water. Both noise and water displacement. Sometimes with Bass you can't make enough noise with a fly. You don't have spinner baits, or plugs to get reaction strikes. So I would make sure I have a rod large enough to cover all aspects of fly rod Bass fishing. That would include poppers and bunny flies.

Now for your pond fishing the very lightest rod I would consider would be a 6wt if you are fishing open water and don't want to throw the biggest poppers. When you add wind and big poppers then I think a 7wt would be the minimum. Normally I would recommend an 8wt for Bass but since you asked about pond fishing a 7wt may be a good choice.

Here is one other thing to consider. You are not too far from the coast. If there is a chance you might try some saltwater water fishing then an 8wt would be my choice. It would be a bit more rod than you need for pond fishing but would be a good choice for saltwater.

Frank