The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default Black to clear leader?

hey for the line i bought at the flea market, there was leader already attached, and the leader starts at black, goes to a brown and is eventually clear... what is the purpose of this?

and p.s. i threw that line the other day, its trash or not the right wt. so i got myself some new 8wt for my rod!

thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black to clear leader?

Mike- it sounds like a poly leader- with the different color sections being different densities - fast sink. slow sink and floater . They were probably put together for storage, or sale with the fly line, usually you'd just use one section plus tippet depending on where you wanted to fish down deep- mid depth or surface. Does it look something like this?:
Cabela's 7-Piece Poly-Leader Set
Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 PM

no its one leader and it goes from black to clear, if ya want a pic i could take one for ya
Old 03-27-2009, 05:03 PM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

That's a new one on me, unless the black part is a fast sink- try putting it in some water to see if that's what it is. Maybe the black part is a fast sink designed to take a fly deep with a floating fly line...?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't there talk of a new leader that was different colors?
I am betting it is a CAMO thing. Allot of people are concerned that a fish will see their line or leader.
I would try it, it sounds cool. By the way, I make a camo furled leader, maybe I will try the Black to Brown to clear. Be easier to see on bright days with those puffy white clouds reflecting off the water. Just like Black indicators.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Wasn't there talk of a new leader that was different colors?
I am betting it is a CAMO thing. Allot of people are concerned that a fish will see their line or leader.
I would try it, it sounds cool. By the way, I make a camo furled leader, maybe I will try the Black to Brown to clear. Be easier to see on bright days with those puffy white clouds reflecting off the water. Just like Black indicators.
would you make a vid on how you do this? i'd like to try especially since sportsman's warehouse is goin out of business by me, so i'd have to go to bass pro where its at least two bucks more for anything!

and here is a pic of the leader
Click the image to open in full size.
i put the clear side to the right, it looks a lil dark, but its a yellowish clear, i swear.

and i put it in water and the dark spot did in fact sink. how does that exactly help?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:35 PM

Mike- I think this is how it's supposed to work-- The dark part of the leader will get down a bit deeper than the floating fly line, the clear mono portion makes it less visible to fish. So you have a floating fly line, the dark part angling down in the water, and the fly riding along 3-5' deep. Basically it's an inexpensive and quick way to turn a floating fly line into a sink tip. Should be a good set up for fishing streamers...

If you have a loop to loop connection attached to your fly line you can change out easily back and forth from a "regular" leader for fishing on the surface to this one to fish deeper. At least that's what it looks like to me.

mark
Old 03-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

How do you get those huge photos? My transfers always end up as thumbnails that must be opened into another window.