The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 10:25 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 3wt

A friend of mine has a 3wt rod made by Ross, believe it or not, and he loves it for small creeks, small dry flies, etc. I believe he paid around $120 for it recently.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

For small streams, thickly overgrown conditions, I use a 7'6" Sage ZXL. Loads very well at short distances and can get the line out there in a hurry when you come across a pool in a meadow. Not inexpensive, but from my standpoint, a really good 3 wt. rod.

Other 3 wt. favorites include: 7'6" Diamondback Diamondglass, 7'9" Tom Morgan Rodsmiths graphite.

I also have an Eagle Claw Featherlight and it's a good rod!

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 12-31-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:19 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

I bought one of those Eagle Claw feather lights, for my fishing trips to the Cimarron in NE New Mexico. It's 6'6" is good for fishing that brush-strewn stream. Mine is the old style and it says on the rod 2-6 lb; lure wt 1/16 -3/8 oz. I've used everything from 3wt up to 6wt on it and it fishes fine for those 12 ft casts. The yellow colored rod attracts attention but when I tell them it's an Eagle Claw, I get a "Oh, I see..." look. That's OK, they are a really neat little rod for brushy creeks and 3wt DT lines.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:26 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

The new model Eagle Claw 6'6 rods are in fact marked 4/5 while thier display tag reads 3/4. I cast mine with a wf3 and that seems to fit nicley into the rods sweet spot. Dont let the price fool you, these are solid tools.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:32 AM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
The yellow colored rod attracts attention but when I tell them it's an Eagle Claw, I get a "Oh, I see..." look. That's OK, they are a really neat little rod for brushy creeks and 3wt DT lines.
Yeah, I get that eye roll and "Oh" expression from people when I use mine. Like a $20 rod won't catch fish. Since two of mine are "vintage" and they look "well used/well loved", I don't get too much aside from that. That $20 rod has fed my family many, many fish dinners over the years. It's the rod my daughter learned on, and it's the one my twin sons will learn on. Naysayers won't change that.

Can anybody validate what weight is written on the new 6'6" rod for me, just out of curiosity?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:13 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

4/5 is marked on the rod. 3/4 is marked on the paper tag attached to grip.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:51 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my current small stream rod is an albright gp 7'6" 3 weight that i picked up last year for 44.00. it was during some crazy sale they were having with free shipping to boot. decent little rod, definently well worth the money and more than adequate for the job.

casey

ARFE
Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

If price is a primary factor, you might consider a Cabela's Three Forks combo. The combo includes a rod, reel, and line for $80. I got one in 3 wt. 7' 6" about 20 months ago. The action is medium and loads well on those short casts. The reel is a Cabela's Prestige Plus and the line is Cabela's Prestige Plus (I believe it's just SA repackaged). The reel is aluminum, quiet, and the drag worked just fine against a 20" 'bow early this year. As for the line, I originally figured on having to replace it soon after I bought it, however it has been a pleasant surprise. It casts and mends well, and has little memory. And if you want to throw a 40' cast, it can do that as well.

Sorry, I know I probably sound like a commercial, I'm not associated with Cabela's in any way (except all the money I dump in the place), I just love my 3 wt., cheap generic noodle that it is.

Seriously though, if possible, I'd recommend at least test driving one. You might find it to be a top contender when you make your final decision.

Peace.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:02 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
If price is a primary factor, you might consider a Cabela's Three Forks combo. The combo includes a rod, reel, and line for $80. I got one in 3 wt. 7' 6" about 20 months ago. The action is medium and loads well on those short casts. The reel is a Cabela's Prestige Plus and the line is Cabela's Prestige Plus (I believe it's just SA repackaged). The reel is aluminum, quiet, and the drag worked just fine against a 20" 'bow early this year. As for the line, I originally figured on having to replace it soon after I bought it, however it has been a pleasant surprise. It casts and mends well, and has little memory. And if you want to throw a 40' cast, it can do that as well.

Sorry, I know I probably sound like a commercial, I'm not associated with Cabela's in any way (except all the money I dump in the place), I just love my 3 wt., cheap generic noodle that it is.

Seriously though, if possible, I'd recommend at least test driving one. You might find it to be a top contender when you make your final decision.

Peace.

I got one of these outfits this time last year, in an 8wt. Only difference is my reel is graphite. These are pretty good combo's, especially for the price.

I know our local Cabela's store as these rods, just the rods, on sale for $30.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog