The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 01:17 PM

ozarkadver is on a distinguished road
Default 3wt

Thinking of getting a 3wt, to fish the brushy creeks around here. What action should I get. I'll be useing it to fish for stocker trout, smaller smallmouth, and maybe some bream. Been looking at TFO's. Any advise?
Old 12-25-2010, 01:49 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 3wt

I have a 7'6" TFO Pro 2 piece that works well for the brushy stuff but if I knew then what I know now I would have bought either the 7'9" TFO Finesse 3 wt or the 7'6" Redington CT 3 wt.

I've learned that for small brushy creeks I would prefer a med action that loads easier for shorter casts. Both the Finesse and CT are Med action. THe TFO Pro I have is a Med Fast.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a review that I wrote on the Redington CT 376-4.

MP
Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I have a Cabela's LST 2wt that I bought for the same situations your looking to fish in. It's a fast action rod and on those shorter casts in the bushy stuff, I really wished it had a slower action. The thing loads quicker than I can blink.

I don't have any experience with the TFO's but I would suggest giving a medium action rod a thought.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 AM

labail is on a distinguished road

I bought a TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse series last summer in a 3wt. 8'9'' 4 piece and It is my favorite rod. I used it chasing some brookies in the bushy creeks up in CO. And also for smaller browns in the Arkansas River. but i also found it great for the bream fishing I do. I've caught a few 1 -3 lb largemouth on it as well and it holds its own against the bruisers when they make a run for the sticks.

Overall i love that rod, it can handle quite a few sizes of fly and rigs with a good presentation, yet also it can provide a quality backbone when you need it.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I have a 7'9" TFO Finesse 3wt that I really enjoy. I have caught hundreds of fish on it. I managed a big fresh bull pink salmon in swift water, plus a 40 inch range pike caught on accident. I think it is important to match this rod with a light reel though. The first 3wt reel I had on it was decent quality but when I switched to a lighter model the balance improved and I managed a noticable range increase.
For the price the rod is a great value and for what it sounds like you want to do, it would be a good choice.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:13 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Advice: Ditch the TFO and buy an Eagle Claw Featherlight. They are made from fiberglass which gives a nice slow action. Perfect for smaller streams and shorter casts. They are really strong as well. Why ditch the TFO? The eagle claw is only $25 bucks! TFO is a really nice rod though.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:21 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I fish some really neat, really small, really overgrown streams. I love my 6'6" 2 and 3 wts...medium action at best, since I'm often casting 10 feet or so, and medium and slower is the only way to get the rod to load at that distance (even with WF lines). The 6'6" is a definate advantage in those confined places.

I have 7'6 and 8'4's in both wts too, for bigger water. I love the Orvis 8'4's in 2 and 3; I've handled some pretty big trout (and quickly) with them on, for example, the Batten Kill and the Mettowee.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:29 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
Advice: Ditch the TFO and buy an Eagle Claw Featherlight. They are made from fiberglass which gives a nice slow action. Perfect for smaller streams and shorter casts. They are really strong as well. Why ditch the TFO? The eagle claw is only $25 bucks! TFO is a really nice rod though.
I've often wondered about those Eagle Claws...... but something about a $20 fly rod makes me a little nervous.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-31-2010, 08:47 AM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I have three of those Featherlight rods in 7' 5/6WT. Can't beat the rod for the price. Two of mine are older models with metal down locking reel seats. I prefer the slower action on those old ones to the new model with the wooden reel seat.

They are available as a 6'6" (allegedly 3/4) 4/5WT, 7' 5/6WT, and 8' 5/6WT. Not sure why, but I have heard that the paper label wrapped around the rod (and Eagle Claw's website) says the 6'6" is a 3/4WT and the rod itself says 4/5WT, or maybe the other way around. But I haven't seen that in person.