The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 02:59 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about
Default A few questions!

Merry christmas to all! Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

My question!

I just received a fishing lanyard in my stocking and i love the way it looks. But what i am looking for is a tippet spool holder (?) if thats what you call it. Almost like the spool's sit on top of each other and they hang off of something. Does anyone know what this is? I think i could make one with some lace and a swivel but I'm wondering if there is a pre made tool so i could attach to my vest/lanyard/shirt or whatever!

Any help is appreciated guys!

Once again merry christmas!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: A few questions!

I don't use one but I believe I've seen them hanging on the racks in shops here (Alaska) so I know you will find what you're looking for at your nearest shop.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-25-2010, 03:43 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

There are alot of them out there but here is one. Do a search for tippet spool holder and you will have a ton to choose from.

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955
Old 12-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've made all of my lanyards and all but one of my tippet spool thing-a-ma-jigs. The one I bought came from Gander Mountain. I like it, but not anymore than the ones I made. I thought I had a picture in my albums where you could see one, but there are fish in the way everytime. Anyway, I just saw one in a catalog I liked and duplicated it with stuff from the craft store.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:21 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Mine's made from some 1/4 or 5/16 braided nylon rope. I melted the ends so it wouldn't unravel, put a faucet washer on the bottom, strung the tippet spools and the spool of twist on lead and tie it to a d ring on my vest with a single turn knot.
Work's fine, hasn't come off, it can be a little in the way/snaggy right there on the front of the vest.
I can't believe someone would pay 8 bucks for one of these.

Cabela's: Search Results
Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I made mine out of wash line an a carabiner.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I'm with Ant an JoJer on this one. A length of accessory cord a couple overhand knots and viola. Hang off a D-ring or lanyard with a small biner.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

You might actually try threading the spools directly onto your lanyard; if they'll fit down over the lanyard components. You don't often need more than three sizes of tippet for any particular fishing outing and often times, a single one is sufficient.

Pocono