south pacific fly reels

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Again, similar response to your post on Wright McGill reels, what are you fishing for? I'm sure folks could recommend many reels with a proven track record at different price points for whatever fish you're chasing.

I have no experience with the South Pacific reels either. From the little info available on the web they make graphite fly reels for 30 bucks as well as more expensive models at 129, allegedly reduced from 320. Not much info available on them, even on Australian fly fishing forums, which should tell you something. Personally i would pass.

So again, i would think there are better options from more established reel manufacturers that would be a better choice for whatever fish you are chasing.

mark

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Global,

Hardy, Lamson, Ross, Glavin, Abel, Billy Pate, Orvis, Sage, Tibor, etc.

With so many known reels to choose from why make it difficult?

Globaloption

Reaction score
I'm looking for a high-end reel at a discount price - USA, Sweden, UK, or German reel. I will mostly be fishing in central Oregon - Trout - Steelhead and some Salmon. I want a set-up that will make me happy for a long time - I don't want to be collecting a bunch of reels and rods over the years because I went with low priced models now. So far I like Bauer, Vision, Nautilus, Vosseler, Sage, and Loop.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Billy Pate Salmon reel.
I use an old Orvis Odyssey IV for heavy weights (Kings) and a Hardy Viscount LA disc for most others. I bought a Lamson Velocity 3.5 last fall but have not used it as of yet.

I fish AK. and my reels take a pounding drag wise. The Hardy has caught hundreds of salmon and is still solid as when new. I have no favorite reel for steelhead and have landed them on anything from an Orvis Battenkill 3/4 spring and pawl to all of my disc drag reels so I guess it'll come down to what you like.

That Billy Pate Salmon is one serious reel, sooner or later I'm going to have one.