The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:22 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide
Default bug selection/ what they ate today on river

Hey fellow anglers,
Just got off the Bitteroot south of Missoula MT, it was cold early. I flipped over some rocks and found stonefly nymphs, and mayfly/ march brown nymphs everywhere so we put on a skwala nymph and a size 14 tungsten prince and proceeded to catch whitefish and 2 nice cutthroats until we switched to dry flies. After that color didn't matter, they would eat a size 10 segmented skwala in soft water, and soft transition. I tried a different color/tan/green bullethead and they ate that but only in the right spots, my client wanted me to switch flies after a few trout mangled his fly, and the bullethead was chewed up, and two legs were missing, but the roughed up bug flat out worked if his drift was dragfree in the right spots. I fished the banged up bugs until he would cast them into the trees that I couldn't retrieve with my drift boat. We had 30 or so eat the dry fly, as long as the fly was about the correct size and drifting correctly they would eat it. I guess my point is bug selection is important, but not as important as presentation, and being in the correct water column for the hatch.
fish hard!!
Missoula Montana guide #9431 Montana Fly Fishing, Missoula Montana, Montana Fly Fishing for Trout. Classic Journey Outfitters.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:43 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: bug selection/ what they ate today on river

Thanks for posting that report! Your point is taken here. I am still learning how to read hatches and all that information helps. I can turn over any rock in the stream and still not know what I am looking at. Everytime I hear reports like that I take it all in! Everybit of info like that helps me.

Thanks again.