The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 02:44 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: Age old question : catch/release or catch/keep ?

I agree with you Doug. While we are going to end up having a mortality rate just by catching, we can certainly lessen that impact by having a little respect for the fish and the resource. Learning to do the release the right way is the ticket. If you are just going to handle them incorrectly you might as well keep them as they are going to die.

But I would not want a five pound trout for dinner. I personally like the pan size ones. They taste better.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:10 AM

atlaw will become famous soon enoughatlaw will become famous soon enough

Well I haven't been too active on the forum lately (waaay too much working)but this is something that is just really about respect-if you are going to release, do it as best you can. If you are going to keep the fish, then eat it and enjoy it, just don't take more than you need. Seems to me respect covers just about everything.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw
Well I haven't been too active on the forum lately (waaay too much working)but this is something that is just really about respect-if you are going to release, do it as best you can. If you are going to keep the fish, then eat it and enjoy it, just don't take more than you need. Seems to me respect covers just about everything.
Fully agree.

I remember a time when bringing home the catch was almost like a boost of my ego. Like throwing a chunk of velveeta is cause to be proud of your catch!
I would then show everyone all the big fish I caught. (insert best Tim the toolman Taylor grunt)

Today, I could care less about those things. I am actually sickened by how many fish I must have freezer burned and thrown out back then. I have had family that want fish brought home try to taunt me into keeping them by saying they don't believe I caught any. I just laugh and say, join me next time then.

Respect is a key. Being well rounded is another. Everything in moderation.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

I release 95% of the fish I catch. The exceptions are almost entirely fish that have a high likelihood of dieing anyway if released. No moral issue here for me, I just prefer releasing them. I think in places where the law allows harvesting it is a personal choice and I don't hold it against anyone who fries a couple up (or my personal favorite, baked in foil with butter, onions and white wine).

One important thing about your email....
If you want to do population control, use the "slot limit" approach.
Release the medium size fish and keep only the very large and very small. The medium size fish are the breeders. The very large and very small will not produce as many offspring.