The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 11:41 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Float Trips and Studs

My only pair of wading boots have studded aquastealth soles and I like them so far. However, I went on a guided float trip on the Guadalupe here in Texas a few weeks back and the guide was not happy with the studded boots and his raft. He allowed me to wear them, but I was overly conscious of them the entire day and didn't want to leave any marks on his raft. It was something I had never considered. He advised me that many guides in the west will not allow studded boots in their boats. Is this true? It makes sense to me as far as drift boats are concerned. Wouldn't want to mark up the boats and I assume it would be slick on the boat floors. If I am going to be taking in guided float trips or be in any kind of boats or rafts, do I need to get some non-studded boots and just save the studs for when I am wading only?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Float Trips and Studs

I would get another pair for instances such as this.

If someone has studs on their boots and planning to float with me, they need to plan on taking them off of their boots(if removable), or finding another pair to wear. They can really damage the floor of the boat.

Studs do have a place, but not in my boat.

I've seen stores that have posted signs at the door asking people not to wear studded boots inside.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I am getting ready to buy a pair of the new boots with the soels that you can switch, a heck of alot cheaper then buying two or three diffrent pairs of boots. Alot better then packing two diffrent pair of boots to.
Bear
Old 03-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

They can really chew up a boat. Until you can get a pair without studs you may want to consider finding a couple of pieces of indoor outdoor carpeting to throw down on the bottom of any boats you plan on getting into.

mark
Old 03-28-2009, 03:47 PM

dman will become famous soon enough

Most of the guides I knew when studs became common put an extra removable layer of plywood where we stood/sat.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

I'll bet you could easily make a cover for the studded soles using indoor/outdoor carpeting - cut them to fit your boot soles, then attach with tape or straps.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Another option is a pair of Cabelas zip up, felt sole wading booties for $30.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Studded boots have their place but it is not in boats. I have placed mats in my boat for clients with studs but the studs still rip up the floor and it never fails that a client gets out to wade or use the restroom and they step on the seat bench or scrape their boots on the side of the boat as they try to get out. I don't care how much care a person takes while wearing studded boots, they will at some point in the day cause damage to the boat. Please leave studded boots at home and show some consideration and respect for the boats owner.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:28 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
Studded boots have their place but it is not in boats. I have placed mats in my boat for clients with studs but the studs still rip up the floor and it never fails that a client gets out to wade or use the restroom and they step on the seat bench or scrape their boots on the side of the boat as they try to get out. I don't care how much care a person takes while wearing studded boots, they will at some point in the day cause damage to the boat. Please leave studded boots at home and show some consideration and respect for the boats owner.
I agree. Out of consideration for the property of the guides it would be best to just wear non- studded boots or a pair of sneakers & carry the boots for if you need them.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

When I became aware of this a long time ago, I bought the Aqua sole with the Carbide screws for this reason. The Aqua sole do just fine on there own, the studs are just a bonus.
In any kind of boat, I remover the studs, and feel secure enough to even get out of the boat and still have traction.

I have had some real clumsy clients and I just know that carpet patch would slide at the wrong time.