The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 PM

Dotsonnt will become famous soon enoughDotsonnt will become famous soon enough
Default Rio Floating Shooting Head Line

Hey guys just got a new 8 Weight for some Bass Fishing and trying to find a good line without paying an arm and a leg. Found a fairly cheap line and just wondering if anyone had any knowledge about it. Its RIO FLOATING SHOOTING HEAD line. Any one ever heard of it?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:38 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rio Floating Shooting Head Line

Is it an entire line or just a shooting head? Even if it's just the head, attach it to some running line which is quite inexpensive and have at it! When you need to get to different depths and when your pockerbook allows, just buy more heads.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

this is the first time i've heard of shooting heads, so sorry to merge from the main subject, but is the main point of shooting heads just to use a heavier line for (what i got out of what i read) more momentum to cast farther?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBob365 View Post
this is the first time i've heard of shooting heads, so sorry to merge from the main subject, but is the main point of shooting heads just to use a heavier line for (what i got out of what i read) more momentum to cast farther?
They do shoot farther than conventional lines but the big thing is that you can swap out heads to reach different water depths. They come anywhere from full floaters to dredgers. Some folks just carry the other heads in a wallet and change them out as needed.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You don't want to be using a shooting head system for bass fishing
Shooting heads are for distance casting
Bass fishing is all about accuracy and shooting heads don't allow for in-close work that's needed to do the job.
You want either a regular weight forward line or a specialized 'bass taper'

If you can find an SA Headstart line in an 8wt... get that
Because they're beginners lines they have an aggressive taper similar to a bass taper.... cheap too
Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 AM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

Good advice, Rip Tide.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

SA also offer their "species specific" lines under the "professional series." those who have been fishing a bit will know the name "air cel." in that species specific series, there is the bass taper air cel. i imagine it would be around the same price range and SA makes good lines. they also offer a "bass bug" line in their mastery series but it's at the standard price for premium lines.

a shooting head line is "cheap" because it's only part of the entire line. and yeah, it's designed more for distance casting.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 PM

Dotsonnt will become famous soon enoughDotsonnt will become famous soon enough

Oh... wow wasn't thinking there guys thanks! ha I'll check that out! Thanks guys!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked up the Headstart line
Not the 'deal' that they once were...they use to be cheap, not anymore.

I use the Cortland 333 Pro Bass myself, long lasting, casts great.
$37 retail
Old 03-29-2009, 03:37 PM

That is a good catch on where he using the line, Riptide!