The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2006, 08:04 AM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough
Question Newbie needs help

I am new to this so bear with me. How do you connect your fly line to your backing so it will not hang in the guides? I tried to post this in the line fourm but it said I was banned. This is my first post.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:40 AM

JBinUTAH will become famous soon enoughJBinUTAH will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newbie needs help

Check out the albright knot on the link below. If tied cleanly, you shouldn't have any problems. There are some other knots too. The nail knot may be better. I rarely get to my backing so I don't have the issue but that link is great. Save it to favorites.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfi...e=LogoGrog.jpg
Old 02-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

The Albright is a good knot. I use the Uni-Knot. Its quick, simple and doesn't get hung up on the guides. See the image bellow.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Uni Knot.gif (15.4 KB, 47 views)

Old 02-04-2006, 08:14 PM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough
Re: Newbie needs help

Thanks guys. That helps alot. Don't know if I will will ever get to the backing,but want to be sure it doesn't hang and break the big one off.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorarki
Thanks guys. That helps alot. Don't know if I will will ever get to the backing,but want to be sure it doesn't hang and break the big one off.
You just never know. You could be catching little bluegill and then hook into a big carp and you will see your backing. Good knots will come in handy once in a while, and usually when you least expect it.

BTW, welcome aboard.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! I've always used the nail knot to connect the fly line to the backing, but looking at the albright, I would expect it to work very well too. If you're concerned about the knot passing through the guides, Loon makes a product called UV Knot Sense that you could use to coat the knot. I'm told the stuff cures to a hard but flexible plastic consistency when exposed to sunlight, and if you make it into a tapered shape around the knot it could help that knot go through the guides more smoothly. I think www.thefullcreel.com sells that product.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

To add to the discussion ... Whether fresh or saltwater, I use a loop-to-loop connection for fly line to backing. The loop on the backing is either a very large double or triple surgeon's loop (2 for fresh/3 for salt). The loop must be big enough to fit over the reel.

The loop in the rear of the fly line's belly is a small whipped loop using nylon thread tied off by a series of half-hitches and sealed with magic glue. For the heaviest fish in the salt, I still us a whipped loop but further secure it with two nail knots.

Never had one fail yet or hang up in the guides. And it gives me the flexibility to remove the fly line easily and conveniently such as when changing out lines and/or cleaning.

Doug

P.S. If for some reason a knot forms during the cast, here's a tip you might want to try: simply turn the rod upside down and the odds are the knot will clear the guides.

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 02-08-2006, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the help. This is the best forum I have been in that so many people are willing to help out a guy that is trying to learn.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Thanks for the kind words, glad we could help. Keep hitting us with questions, we remind ourselves of important stuff when we have to tell somebody about it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.