The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Full Sink vs. Sink Tip Lines

Barley pop is what I drink, beer is what you drink!
Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I normally tell people that a full sink is for still water and a sink-tip is best for moving water,
Kelly Galloup might disagree with that. LOL I use full sink. Personally I don't care for sink tip because they are tooooooo heavy. It is like putting as ton of split shot on. Definitely CHUCK AND DUCK!
This is just my opinion. I like the casting ease of full sink line and the NO mending on rivers
Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The lubricant of life.............. beer
Never heard it called that before... learn something new everday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
No, I drink cheap whiskey and lots of it.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Barley Pop, nothing better on a hot muggy day..Come to think of it nothing better on a bitter cold day either...

Nerka, different strokes for different folks; rig up with the system you like best; and that you have the most confidence in...

Dan
Old 12-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
I drink Happy Soda
Old 12-28-2010, 04:21 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

Can a sinking leader setup replace a sink tip line? I think rio makes a versi tip with a couple different types.

Brian
Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I drink Happy Soda
I drink hops soda
Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie314 View Post
Can a sinking leader setup replace a sink tip line? I think rio makes a versi tip with a couple different types.

Brian
Brian,

I fished for plenty of years using Orvis Tungsten impregnated leaders as intermediate sinking leader and Beartooth Lead Heads for fast sinking types. The Orvis tungsten are discontinued but there are others on the market. Lead heads are braided Mono with a very flexable lead core. These are available in 24, 36, 48, and 72" legnths last I knew. I have what I need from the past so I don't know what's out there now, If you look for Beartooth Montana you will find the outfit that has been selling them since the 80's.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I normally tell people that a full sink is for still water and a sink-tip is best for moving water, but I don't necessarily take my own advise.
I have heard this argument made before and while in concept I think it makes some sense but is not always practical.
Quote:
You gotta remember that anytime a portion of your line is below the surface in moving water, the subsurface currents are in total control of your line unless you're actively stripping. A floating line is usually best in moving water, but with a sinktip, you at least have some level of (mending) control.
In still water a sink-tip will pull the fly toward the surface on each strip while the full sink line will have the most consistent presentation. Some people don't like a full sink because you need to strip it in quite a but to pull it up for the next cast, but I've never found that to be an issue.
Personally I have never noticed that one line casts any better than the other. I'm more likely to use a full sink myself and will often attach a lead-head on to make a "sink-tip, full sink". That casts like you wouldn't believe, just remember duck
I would also agree with this in general. Most of the salmon fly fishing done here is with a constant strip retrieve. There are times where I can get the fly deep enough without needing split shot. With the exception of the Russian River where weighted flies are banned, I am using streamers with plenty of lead.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Nerka,

When I was in Alaska I used a weight forward sink tip line. The tip was about 10' long. I carried a full sinking line and a floating line but don't remember ever using the full sinking line at all.

As you know, a lot of the rivers in Alaska are shallow and I think a full sinking would be harder to use. I feel the sink tip line is much easier to pick up for a cast than the full sinking with a single handed rod. I use to fish for Grayling at the head waters of Lake Creek in deep pools. The 10' of sink tip will sink a few feet of the floating line if there is no currant. I never felt that I needed anything to go deeper in those deep pools.

So for me in AK rivers the sink tip is the line. Easier to pick up and easier to control the drift. Now in deep lake fishing I would want the full sinking line but you are not casting much and there is no mending or line control.

Frank
Thanks for the reply Frank,
While I do fish some of the smaller rivers like the Russian, I also fish some big rivers like the Newhalen and Nushagak. While I dont disagree with your logic and it no doubt was fruitful for you, I like the idea of having the more uniform sink characteristics found on full sink, rather than being subject to the surface and subsurface currents and obstacles.
In terms of still water fishing, with the exception of chasing pike and a few others on more rare occassions chasing 'bows and dollies on streamers, I generally am dry flying on lakes.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stroud View Post
I fish lots of big streamers for bass, and similarly to what Rip Tide said, I use full sinking line in still water, especially where the water is too deep to wade. I use floating line for running water exclusively. I have never found a use for sink tip line, but that could be because I am a cheapskate and don't want to pack around yet another spool. When I need something to go deeper, or just go down faster, I use split shot.
If you need something to move and it doesnt:WD-40
If you have something that is moving and shouldnt: duct tape
If you have something that floats and needs to sink: split shot

I am always looking to save weight in meaningful places, especially when flying out because in a Cessna 172 every ounce matter. I have been put into situations where float line with split shot worked well enough, but having a line dedicated to sinking and not forced to sink is a noticable difference.
Quote:
As an experiment, I wonder if I could insert a piece of something like toothy critter when I furl my leaders. That could add some weight (not to mention strength) and might make a fast sinking leader. I have added fluorocarbon, monofilament, 55# braid, and even kevlar thread on some of my guinea pig projects, with varied degrees of success. Can't see why toothy critter wouldn't work as well.
It does, and toothy critter and other "steel leaders" designed for fly fishing would work probably fine if furled. But I have not had much luck with them when used as design. I fish pike with 15-20lb mono leaders and the amount of pike I have had manage bite the leader is minimal versus the amount of flies I have lost through the fold and crimp system found on this leader type.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

i use this for salmon and steelhead fishing in the westcoast.

Click the image to open in full size.

Gets me down to the bottom everytime!!