The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 AM
jake0215

Default Please help

I recently came across a R.L. Winston rod. the specs are as follows. Size: 8'9"-4 5pc. Handle: cigar Seat: maple nsul. I know nothing about fly fishing rods, but everything i see says these are some of the best. I know that fishing equipment can be quite expensive. can someone please explain to me what i have here and what it would possibly be worth. Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by jake0215; 12-27-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:29 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please help

Jake
It is probably a winston LT model in a 4 weight. They can be purchased new for $695.00. You can look it up on the RL Winston web site or contact the company with the info you have on the rod. I would take it into one or more of your local fly fishing shops for an estimate of it's value. I have seen other used Winston rods in this price range selling for $350 to $450. It could be worth more or less,though, depending on it's condition. I'm sure not an expert at valuing used rods.

Bob
Old 12-27-2010, 01:32 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

First post-- Welcome!

When you say 'came across' what does that mean? What are you wanting the rod to do? What are you targeting? etc. Sounds like a nice rod to be sure.

As for the designations: 8'9"-4, 5 pcs. can be decoded the following:

8'9" long (pretty obvious)-- good for about any application. the '-4' is the line weight-- this rod was designed to cast a 4 wt. line. And the 5 pcs. means that the rod can be separated into 5 pieces. (Good for traveling-- can be broken down to be compact.)

If it is a hand me down from a parent, g' parent, or the like-- I'd say use it as intended and cherish every moment of it.

Winston is a top notch rod builder, and with normal use and a little pampering (ie-- not carelessness) it should last you a lifetime.

With a little more info out of you (what fish you are targeting, where you live, the kinds of water you'll be fishing, etc.), we could answer more specifically what you might be asking.

As for worth-- I guess the old adage holds true-- whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Are you looking to buy it or sell it?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:15 PM
jake0215

thanks everyone for the quick feedback. I am not intending to use this at all. I just want to get a fair price when i do sell it. I "came across" it in a foreclosure house that my company is listing. It was at the bottom of a large box of fishing equipment. Along with some orvis reals. i grabbed it hoping it would be worth something.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Please pardon my saying this but that is not the best way to come across a good rod. If I were you I would seek to contact the unfortunate person who for reasons unknown has left their fishing gear behind. Loosing your home is devastating but to loose your fishing gear is unacceptable.

I would do what I could to return the items, the company has the building and unless the people at corporate level know about the items and have seized them as company property.................... Enough said, it saddens me to hear of this.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
jake0215

you're right. i will do that.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good Man,

Now you are on the way to becoming a member here

To many men & women alike their fishing gear is next to family on the list of sacred things in life.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;