The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gave a Guy Some Flies, and He Out-Fished Me..

I didn't mind at all... !

My wife and I were on Ridley Creek, and the trout were swimming right up
to within 2 feet of us! We threw everything I could think of, but nothing
worked. A guy in his early 20's was stringing up his rod, and asked how we
were doing. After telling him, he said that he had cleaned up on Zebra midges
a week ago, but had lost the box that he kept his Zebras in. I offered him
a handful of the #18 Zebras I had, he tied one on, and proceeded to catch
one trout after another! He had one that was just under 17", and told me
to come and fish the riffle where he was standing. I was just about hypothermic after being there for 3 hours, but did manage to miss several
takes.

The guy told me that some seasoned vets had shown him that riffle and the
Zebras the week before, and said that the guys would take turns casting into the narrow stretch. This guy (Dave) took some really nice fish there, and it
was quite satisfying that he did it with flies that I tied. There was a guy
fishing that spot for a couple hours before Dave showed up, and he caught
nothing. Dave asked him what he used, and he said everything except
Zebras. It only took Dave about two minutes to hook into his first solid trout!
With the exception of a chub on a Zebra, I didn't catch anything. Next time
I'll start with the Zebras in that tiny riffle.

Every have anything like that happen?

EDIT Dave's gear was less than bargain basement: plastic reel, no-name 8' 6wt rod....junk . Just goes to show.....
Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gave a Guy Some Flies, and He Out-Fished Me..

Well it sounds like you should get at least get an "assist" on Dave's fish, and it sounds like you've got some good kharma points too for helping the guy out.

Nice going. Good luck, and load up on those midges.

mark
Old 03-31-2009, 06:27 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Presentation is the word. And thats not to say that one's presentation is wrong and anothers is rigth. It's just that the fish like one over the other. I can not count the times a person right next to me fishing the same thing catches fish where I can't.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Presentation plays a huge factor, but.... When I first took my turn in that
riffle with a Zebra alone, I didn't have any luck. Dave told me to tie on a GRHE beadhead, and
use the Zebra as a dropper. That was when I started getting takes. The takes were very light, and I was very cold, and the light was very low. Had
I reacted to sooner to half the takes, I would have had a nice trout. Having
said that, it was crucial to get the cast to right section of the riffles, and these riffles were very short and narrow. Dave said that I should walk right up
because the fish weren't shy. Having observed trout swim to within less
than two feet of my legs earlier, I'd have to agree with him!

If you define presentation as the right pattern delivered to the right spot
with the right drift, then presentation was the key in this case.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Frank,

I never fish a midge by its self. I always use a two fly setup and I think it helps. I wonder if you were using a strike indicator? How deep was the riffle?. Usually when you find multiple fish in a riffle, they are there feeding. The Zebra Midge is very successful in a tail water fishery. You might consider a Copper John or Prince Nymph (my favorite as the first fly.

Frank
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 AM

We were both using a strike indicator, Frank. The riffles were about 6 feet
wide, and run about 15-20 feet. Depth was shallow, but Dave had his indicator much further from the main fly than I did. I think if I hadn't been
hypothermic by the time I went to that section, I would have done better.
I also think that if my eyes were younger, the fading light wouldn't have been
a big issue .

This is just a story of a nice young guy, with minimum gear, and a passion
for fishing. He asked everyone at the stream how they were doing, and told
me that he's always looking for any kind of advice. I told him that after seeing
him catch one after another, I was looking for advice as well. Since this is
a FF'ing only stretch of water, some of the people there can seem a little
too self-absorbed in that "I bought the best, now don't suggest anything"
attitude. I find myself doing that around non-ff'ing types, but I'll take all
the advice I can get from someone who's catching when nobody else is.

I posted in another thread about first rods, and mentioned Dave's bargain
basement equipment. We had a very nice rod in the back of the Jeep that
doesn't get much use at all now, and I considered giving it to Dave. Then I
wondered if that would upset the balance of things, especially considering
Dave was casting and catching just fine.......
Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Frank
You sound like a hell of a good guy. Love to fish with you someday.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:25 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Good going Frank. . Love to see a pic of your Zebras. I've tied a few black/silver recently. My receipe said OK to substitute other colors. Whoops I'm thinking also blood midge. Maybe it was just something that I thought about substituting.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 PM

Hey there Dave and Jimmie,

I tie them in black and green, gold bead and silver rib. I do make a bit of a
cone just behind the bead, and then a single wrap down the shank and
a single wrap back up. Sometimes I hit the thread with clear nail polish.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Thanks for the good words. I am available for Alaska, South America or Russia for anyone who wants to take me there.

It seems most of the Zebra Midges are tyed pretty much the same. I like one with a glass bead the most but also use the tungsten bead. I am not a fan of the brass bead. Black with white wire wrapped along the body. Another good fly to fish them with is the Emergent Sparkle Pupa. This is a fly developed by Gary LaFontaine and is a wonderful pattern. Fish it with a Glass Bead Zebra. The Sparkle Pupa would be the top fly.

Take a look at the Suspended Midge. I have not fished that fly but it looks very interesting to me. The nose foam keeps it suspended in a vertical position.

Frank

These flies are available from the Fly Fishing Shop.

Suspended Midge
Click the image to open in full size.

Bead Head Zebra Midge, Black

Bead Head Zebra Midge, Red

Emergent Sparkle Pupa, Green