The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 02:38 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough
Default Ignorance is bliss

It's true. The more I know, the less I want to know.

I was preparing for my winter project, which was to regrip, customize, refinish, and install a new reel seat on my bamboo rod. I figured I'd do some experimenting while I was at it.

I tried the Common Cents method of determining rod ratings. I applied it to all my rods and only found one that was out of whack. It seems that my 7 WT bamboo rod is really a very low 5 WT, a penny shy of being a 4 WT. I have fished it as my smallmouth rod for several years with 7WT line on it, and with great success.

So, knowing what I know now, I can't help but feel like I'm doing something potentially harmful to this rod. Should I down size the line, or just keep fishing it as it is?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ignorance is bliss

I've never tried the Common Cents, but when the weather improves in late winter, I grab a few rods and a bunch of reels and try out different lines on different rods.
Very often I find that the line that I like best is not the recommended size.

You should use the line that fits your style best. Don't pay any attention to what's recommended. Rods can take a variety of sized lines and it won't hurt trying something else.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Like Rip said, you can use a ton of line weights with the rod with no harm. If a company lists a "medium action 5 wt" that means that if you want a medium action rod, you best use a 5wt line. You can "speed up" the action by putting on a lighter line, say a 3wt, or slow it down by putting on a 7wt, such as you have.

And the weird thing is that sometimes a rod works better with an unrecommended line. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

That's one thing I had considered. I love the slow, smooth feel this rod had when I used it as a 7 WT. I don't have any 5 WT line around, so my first test will have to be with 6 WT line. If it works alright, I may get some 5 Wt line and give it a shot.

Aside from that, I still have to strip it apart and do the regrip. That will take a while because I want it to be done just right (spelled O-C-D). The new grip is longer, so it will change the balance. That may figure into which line I end up using.