The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Foreclosed Fishing Gear;

You are right on target, Ard. I did respond to the post and tried to be helpful. My mind just never went to the "possible shady deal" scenario. I appreciate your questioning of the situation and reminding us all to be cautious about similar posts. You can bet I'll be thinking of your concerns if a similar situation comes up.

I'm old enough to remember when we never locked our doors to the house or car and always left our fishing gear in the boat with no worries. It saddens me that we now have to keep our guard up at all times against thieves.

Bob
Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I, too, posted. But I tried to be vague on the value of the rod-- suspecting that it was out of the ordinary. I wanted to give the guy the respect that a new fly rodder should get-- hence why I posed so many ?'s to him and finally left with 'what someone is willing to pay...' as the value and asked if he's selling or buying...

Alas, my stones 'aint as big as Ard's....
Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Ard,

Sounds like you might have made some impact by urging him to return the equipment. Maybe I am being an optimist, but it sounded like he might just take your advice. I hope so at least.

Gary
Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Reading that post gave me that un-easy feeling, something just didn't seem right. When I see posts like that I just can't help feeling like I'm looking at stolen goods...

Ard, keep up the good work...

Dan
Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I read the entire post and I too found it suspicious. I also thought that his response to Ard's suggestion that he find the owner, "I will do that" was a little too prompt. If he becomes an active poster I will gladly stand corrected.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 12-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Bret and everyone else too,

I was watching the posts on there and when I read the details I thought it was time for a reality check of sorts. Having just went through the Christmas Season ramp-up and being inundated with good wishes and good will toward men and all of the pleasant sentiments I was struck at the callousness of the message. I've been close enough to the bottom of the barrel to tell you what it looks like and it was disturbing to realize that something like this could happen to any one of us given the right set of disastrous circumstances. Of course in my case you could take that old Orvis Far & Fine after you pried it from my cold dead hand, to borrow an expression

With the thread as a launch pad I decided to put out a general warning about sales from members who have just became a part of the forum. I don't mean to infer that this is a Good Old Boys Club if you want to sell and it isn't. We just would like to see people establish themselves as active members and fishermen before they open up shop or an information mine.

Thanks to all who have read the messages and to you who have taken the time to post,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Is there someway to get a forum award and bestow it upon Hardy? He is nothing but a fountain of wisdom and fishy knowledge.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Is there someway to get a forum award and bestow it upon Hardy? He is nothing but a fountain of wisdom and fishy knowledge.
Even Ard would admit that he's plenty "fishy".
Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Classified cop... LOL good one Ard.

I believe if this forum is a VBulliten platform that there is a way in the admin panel to restrict users under x number of posts from even seeing the classified section. I am an admin on a photo forum and we require 6 months and 200 posts to gain access to our FS forum for the very reasons that have your attention now.

Dave

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwphoto View Post
Classified cop... LOL good one Ard.

I believe if this forum is a VBulliten platform that there is a way in the admin panel to restrict users under x number of posts from even seeing the classified section. I am an admin on a photo forum and we require 6 months and 200 posts to gain access to our FS forum for the very reasons that have your attention now.

Dave

I don’t think 6 months and 200 posts is the answer to this latest problem or should I say Issue. I am new to the forum and only have 21 posts so does that make me a good guy or bad guy?? I participate in a couple of forums daily for the last 4 plus years and I have only heard of a couple incident like this one and by putting those types of restriction new members of the forum isn’t the answer. Yes I would agree there should be a 5 to10 post limit before you can sell an item but what about that individual that wants to buy a item, no lose to the seller they are in control of the transactions. There are several individuals here on the forum that don’t post or start threads often and by putting 6 months/200 posts restriction on them is a little extreme if they choose to sell items. The reason for Admin like Ard (good job Ard for the heads up) is to warn people or stop any foul play on the site. Before I consider buying an item or giving out pricing information I check out the person asking or selling. If they only have 1 or 2 post and no information about themselves under their profile that is a red flag to me. This is only my opinion.
Keven

Last edited by popperfly; 12-29-2010 at 05:01 PM.