The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   New furled leaders (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/8699-new-furled-leaders.html)

axle27 03-31-2009 07:40 AM

New furled leaders

I just got some new furled leaders the other day. My question is this:

They do sort of keep the spiralness that they have out of the package. What is the best way to straighten them? Stretching around something?

fyshstykr 03-31-2009 01:47 PM

Re: New furled leaders

Have not fished an awful lot with furled leaders so I may be off base here.
I think they would be much like a tapered leader as far as coming out of the pkg with memory. I would think you could treat them the same and gently run your fingers along them starting with the heavier end first. The heat from your hand should be enough to assist in straightening it.
I don't think one of the commercial rubber leader straightners would be a good idea as they create way to much heat to be used on mono. Just my .02 worth.

MontanaMoose 03-31-2009 02:25 PM

Hello axle, I've been fly fishing with a furled leader that a fishin' bud gave me and it's great.
I din't do anything to it besides fish it and that straightened it out...if I were to do anything I'd
lay it over something so it would 'hang' itself straight...but you don't have to...once wet and
used/cast a bit it will be fine.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Jakeway 03-31-2009 03:33 PM

I tried three of four different spiral leaders from different makers, and all of them kept the spirals and didn't lay down flat on the water. When I tried to straighten them out, they just kept un-raveling until they were un-useable.

I think I must have somehow ruined them, because a lot of reputable people on this board swear by them. I gave up tring to make them work for me. I have no complaint with the leaders I use (either tapered or home-made knotted leaders).

mcnerney 03-31-2009 06:12 PM

I bought a furled leader last year to play around with and it straightened out on it's own. It is a dream to cast, lays out nice and straight.

Larry

mojo 03-31-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakeway (Post 54862)
I tried three of four different spiral leaders from different makers, and all of them kept the spirals and didn't lay down flat on the water. When I tried to straighten them out, they just kept un-raveling until they were un-useable.

I think I must have somehow ruined them, because a lot of reputable people on this board swear by them. I gave up tring to make them work for me. I have no complaint with the leaders I use (either tapered or home-made knotted leaders).

What is a spiral leader? Are you talking braided leaders or furled maybe?
I have never seen a well built furled leader have a memory. No coiling just pull it out of the packaging and it drops to the floor straight as an arrow.

Joni 03-31-2009 08:52 PM

If it is made out of Mono it could have some memory.
Like mentioned, just hang them and they should straighten out, or slightly pull on them.
The Thread leaders have NO memory, I guess that is why they are my most popular.

Jakeway 04-01-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo (Post 54895)
What is a spiral leader? Are you talking braided leaders or furled maybe?
I have never seen a well built furled leader have a memory. No coiling just pull it out of the packaging and it drops to the floor straight as an arrow.

DOH! My brain was thinking about 10 words faster than I can type. I meant furled leaders.

I guess what I was trying to say was that in my never-ending quest for the perfect setup, I was trying to get ALL of the curls out of my furled leader, and in doing so, I kept straightening it so much that the individual strands lost thier "furl" and came unravelled. I should have been patient and done what the experts here have been advising, and all should have gone well. Like the little squirrel in the Jerry Clower story, I "loved the little (leaders) to death."

Joni 04-01-2009 08:57 PM

I "loved the little (leaders) to death." Now that has had me laughing for the past 10 minutes.

mojo 04-02-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakeway (Post 55028)
DOH! My brain was thinking about 10 words faster than I can type. I meant furled leaders.

I guess what I was trying to say was that in my never-ending quest for the perfect setup, I was trying to get ALL of the curls out of my furled leader, and in doing so, I kept straightening it so much that the individual strands lost thier "furl" and came unravelled. I should have been patient and done what the experts here have been advising, and all should have gone well. Like the little squirrel in the Jerry Clower story, I "loved the little (leaders) to death."

What kind or brand of furled leaders are you guys buying that has a memory?
My suggestion is pm Joni about them and buy some from her. Better priced and better product than those $13 ones.