The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lining UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Overlining has been shown to damage rods in some cases. By one line weight its not likely, but 3+ really seems like asking for it.

The usual contrarian subjects will jump on this point and argue it, but its kinda like putting an Audi turbo engine in a $8000 Kia: just because it fits and goes faster doesn't mean the transmission is going to hold up.
I think this classifies as polishing a turd....just sayin.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cliff View Post
Overlineing has been shown to damage rods in some cases. By one line weight its not likely, but 3+ really seems like asking for it.
This makes total sense to me, and yet I've never seen any evidence that it was true.

There's a whole sub-culture of SW guys around here that overline like crazy.
They have 'rod tune-ups' twice a year just to test cast different lines on rods that people bring in.... and to spread their message

Cliff, I be happy to pass along any documentation that you have on damage caused by overlineing, but I don't think that they'd care.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I think it would be interesting to see an 11w line on a 5w rod. Why one would want to fish it is beyond me, but for testing or casting purposes?
Would it be any different to cast an 11 weight line than to constantly catch 5 lb. fish on the same 5w rod? Where is the stress going to be? I think a 5 weight would start to collapse with a line that big with more than 40' out, unless you're using a TCR. But then I've never tried it. Seriously doubt if I would. At least with any of my rods.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I think it would be interesting to see an 11w line on a 5w rod. Why one would want to fish it is beyond me, but for testing or casting purposes?
Would it be any different to cast an 11 weight line than to constantly catch 5 lb. fish on the same 5w rod? Where is the stress going to be? I think a 5 weight would start to collapse with a line that big with more than 40' out, unless you're using a TCR. But then I've never tried it. Seriously doubt if I would. At least with any of my rods.
What reel would you use? I'm thinking any reel that would hold an 11WT would make a 5WT rod goofy no? maybe you could use one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rocketfishingrod_thumb.jpg (66.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
This makes total sense to me, and yet I've never seen any evidence that it was true.

There's a whole sub-culture of SW guys around here that overline like crazy.
They have 'rod tune-ups' twice a year just to test cast different lines on rods that people bring in.... and to spread their message

Cliff, I be happy to pass along any documentation that you have on damage caused by overlineing, but I don't think that they'd care.

Don't have any documentation on it, just the wise way to go. I've heard some rod makers won't honor warranties on overlined rods, but the owner would basically have to tattle on themselves for the maker to know.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I was out for my spring trout weekend with the guys and got into a conversation with another angler. Our conversation went from what rod(s) I was fishing and such. He noticed the rod that I was using was a Drake Big Horn (made by Quarrow) and asked me about it. I told him that I could fish that rod better than the old model St. Croix Imperial that I have. He said that if the Imperial was not loading correctly, I might try to line it with a WF or DT 6wt line.

I used a Cortland 444 Clearwater and furled leader on both rods (same reel/line on each). I definately had a better time casting the $60 Quarrow. It has a bit slower action. Given the fact that I was fighting very, VERY swifts current (had rained for a few days before our arrival and the river was up about 3 ft) and wind conditions that had gust of 45+mph, I did OK.

I'm interested in this concept of lining up one wt size.

Also, I have some pics of the place I fished. I'll post them sometime later with some links.