The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 PM

Pavel will become famous soon enough
Default Lining UP

Not sure what the proper term is but when do you use, say for example 6Wt or 7Wt line with a 5Wt rod? I understand when windy conditions prevail it helps to go up but what are the other reasons? Also is there any specific type of actions that need it more than others, example: a fast action rod would need to be used with a line size up more than a medium action rod.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:25 PM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lining UP

I believe this is called overloading. It is my understanding that you will be able to cast a little further. I the time i tried it was on a guided trip in Spokane Washington. It seemed to cast just fine, and the extra distance was noticible. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
Not sure what the proper term is but when do you use, say for example 6Wt or 7Wt line with a 5Wt rod? I understand when windy conditions prevail it helps to go up but what are the other reasons? Also is there any specific type of actions that need it more than others, example: a fast action rod would need to be used with a line size up more than a medium action rod.
"Overlining" is probably the more common term. I disagree with the idea that putting a 6 or 7wt line on a 5wt rod will make it perform better in the wind. Here's why:
Tight loops work best in the wind, because they are more aerodynamic. Its like hitting a tennis ball and a golf ball with a Big Bertha driver. The golf ball will fly MUCH further because it is more aerodynamic, DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE TENNIS BALL IS ROUGHLY TWICE THE WEIGHT OF THE GOLF BALL.

A heavier line than a rod was designed for will flex it more than its designated line. A rod that bends more during casting will generally throw larger loops. (in the hands of most casters)
Now if you're talking about overlining because you're going to be making shorter casts due to the wind and need the heavier line to load the rod, that's a different ballgame, and likely an ideal situation for casting a 6wt line on a 5wt rod. It will especially help if you're going to be throwing poppers or other floating flies. (and keep that leader short too)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Overlining is one of those topics on which "experts" disagree. Here in the northern midwest there's an author/teacher/guide who absolutely swears by overling, even by two line weights, when fishing for smallmouths. Others think he's nuts.

My first quality rod, a 5 wt., was too fast and stiff for me. A 6 wt. line made it usable. I don't think that happens as much anymore, but it's a reasonable case for overlining.

Here's another one: I have an old Sage Discovery 5 wt. rod that I fish from a kayak (I don't want to risk my good rods). This summer I'm going to try it with a 6 wt. line to throw bigger, more air resistent flies at the edge of weed beds. I won't be able to cast as far, but I don't think I'll need to.

Overall, I'm not a fan of overlining. Today's rod manufacturers have turned the art of rod building into a science, and they don't miss very often. However, both SA and Rio have lines that are 1/2 wt. overlined, and I like them very much on my Sage Z-axis rods. I can feel the rods load better, and the feel makes me a better caster.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I overline a bunch of my rods including one of my 5wts.
A fast action, quality rod that's too 'fast' for my taste.

With my saltwater rods I always overline
Ido it because I can 'shoot' line with a single backcast and I can cast larger flies with a lighter rod.
I overline my fastest rods by two and I know people that go 3, 4, even 5 weights over....
The only way you'll know is to try different lines on your rods and see what works for you
Old 03-31-2009, 05:38 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Try it. Thats the only way you will know for sure. I have some rods that cast well when overlined and others that don't. Borrow a buddy's line or take your rod to a local fly shop ask if you can try out a line.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:37 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Put on what you can cast the best with. A rating is just a manufacturers starting point. I've got a Hardy Fibalite glass rod that will throw 5w to 9w. It just doesn't discriminate.
A lot could depend on the line you use too. And the taper of the line.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Overlining has been shown to damage rods in some cases. By one line weight its not likely, but 3+ really seems like asking for it.

The usual contrarian subjects will jump on this point and argue it, but its kinda like putting an Audi turbo engine in a $8000 Kia: just because it fits and goes faster doesn't mean the transmission is going to hold up.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:53 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Overlining has been shown to damage rods in some cases. By one line weight its not likely, but 3+ really seems like asking for it.

The usual contrarian subjects will jump on this point and argue it, but its kinda like putting an Audi turbo engine in a $8000 Kia: just because it fits and goes faster doesn't mean the transmission is going to hold up.
Agreed. I wouldn't go up more than one weight with most of today's rods. The Hardy glass I have was built in the '70's and is faster than most graphite rods of today. It's based on a 8w but will handle 5w thru 9 easily. I wouldn't try that with a lesser weight rod.
Rio Grande is a half weight heavier and there's others out there to tame a fast rod.
Stillwater is different, most stillwater anglers I know, use one line heavier in sinking lines. It's thinner than floating and you can cast it farther.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I know a guy that fishes an 11wt line on a 5wt rod.
IMO he does it just to show off, but the fact is.... he does it.
(he also regularly fishes for stripers with a 3wt)
And he's been doing it for years.