The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default terrible day

today i took a few buds of mine too a new pond, the fish here average about 2 to 3 pounds (oh baby! ) and of course i went to my fly rod before anything! i was casting and a slight wind was coming at me from about a 45 degree angle from my right. i was using my 8wt (from the flea market) with new 333 FW 8wt line. i could not cast for the life of me! i've only casted a few times before with this rod, it was with the wind, and i still wasn't getting much distance.

another factor might have been that i used 8 pound line as my leader, about 8 or 9 ft of it too. i was throwing a 4, 5, or 6(sorry can't remember) size hook woolly bugger, and i couldn't get anything going, i though it might be too heavy for some reason, so i switched to a popper (like such Mad River Outfitters - Swimming Frog) but the same thing happened, i casted, and casted but i could not get the the thing to go out straight in front of me, not even if i turned to go a little more with the wind. what basically happened was my line would go out straight and my leader would go out to one side.

maybe i'm just a terrible caster all of a sudden, maybe its just a crappy rod since it is from the flea market, the leader i used, the length of the leader, or maybe 333 line is just cheap? what do you think my major problem was?

also i was thinking about getting a shooting head, despite the inaccuracy, i don't have much room on my reel however, so am i supposed to cut off some of my other line? and any recommendations of a type, or a brand to make one myself?

thank you all once more for putting up with me and my n00b questions, but i'm from a weak generation so its best i'm taught now so i can pass this all on to the next generation!
Mikey!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:21 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: terrible day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBob365 View Post
another factor might have been that i used 8 pound line as my leader, about 8 or 9 ft of it too.
I dont think it was the 8 pound leader, as i regularly use up to 15 pound leader and that doesnt affect my casting, however when i fish wooly buggers i find a shorter leader helps. I would say 6' of leader for wooly buggers, and 4-5' of leader for heavy streamers is a pretty safe bet.

I am not a great caster though, me responding is like the blind leading the blind.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
I dont think it was the 8 pound leader, as i regularly use up to 15 pound leader and that doesnt affect my casting, however when i fish wooly buggers i find a shorter leader helps. I would say 6' of leader for wooly buggers, and 4-5' of leader for heavy streamers is a pretty safe bet.

I am not a great caster though, me responding is like the blind leading the blind.
i'm sorry if i did not make this clear, but it was just 8 pound line you'd use for a regular rod, not a leader where it gradually goes down... i'm not sure if that would make a difference or not, so i just wanna make sure everyone knows its regular line
Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

learn the double haul cast. helps some when casting into heavy wind.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 AM

tacklebox is on a distinguished road

oh thats so terrible scene one can imagine..Anyways thanks for sharing and making all of us more protective in future..and Congrats as that terrible day is passed now..lol..
Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

a couple of things

If you're using straight mono instead of a tapered leader, use about 6 feet.
Much more and your leader will not turn over.

Also .... FORGET THE SHOOTING HEAD. They're harder to cast
And no...do not cut your line. Shooting heads attached to a separate running line.

Your 333 line is not the problem, the $20 rod might be, but most likely you just need some help to get started.
Fly fishermen as a whole are very accommodating. If you know anyone that fly fishes, ask for a quick lesson. Even ask a stranger for some tips, you'll be surprised how much help you'll get.
Also, many fly fishing clubs have reasonably priced lessons this time of year.
Google around.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

First, yes, the straight 8# tippet as a leader is part of the problem. Ideally, when you hold the butt of your leader and the tip of the fly line one foot apart with the connection in the middle and bend it into a "U", you should see an even and continuous curve. (possible when the stiffness of the butt of the leader matches the stiffness of the flyline) If you do this with your 8wt line and a 8# level leader, you will see more of a right angle at the connection, like a hinge.

This is also exactly what happens when you cast that set up. The fly line is rolling forward in a casting loop and carrying all this energy, and then it hits that hinging point and it dies. With a weighted wooly bugger it means the fly will often drop below the casting plane and tangle. With a popper it means there won't be enough force to counteract the parachute effect of that light bulky fly, and the cast won't turn over.

I'm gonna recommend two tasks, and you gotta at least do the first one for that rod to work well. Get ahold of a spool of 30-35# line and 15-18# line. Use 40-48" of the heavier as a butt section, and 18-24" of the lighter one, and tie your 8-12# tippet onto that. Blood knots would be ideal, but nice easy double surgeons knots will work just fine. This will be pretty cheap, and you can make HUNDREDS of leaders out of typical spools you'd find at academy.

Second, contact either Bruce at the Tackle Box or the Alamo FlyFishers for some casting assistance. Or if you can show me where those ponds are you're pulling bass out of, I'll make time to help you out. (Little baby at home means I don't have much spare time.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.