The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Light tippets for Steelhead & salmon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

I think by now you all know that I believe in using heavy enough tackle so the fish can be landed in as sort of time as possible. Four or even six pound tippet is not heavy enough for Steelhead and Salmon. It is not a matter that you can't catch them on a light tippet, it is a matter of whats best for the fish. If you catch a 12 pound fish on a 4 pound tippet you have probably killed that fish in the process. If it has not spawned yet we have also lost the babies.

Female Steelhead or Salmon must be allowed to spawn. A female loaded with eggs is a very stressed fish even with out being caught and abused by a fisher person. No one should be fishing for Steelhead or Salmon on the Redds. Those fish should be bypassed so they can spawn. Most Steelhead and Salmon fisheries are under a lot of pressure, especially in the Northwest. We must leave spawning fish alone or use tackle and tippets that assures a quick landing and release.

Frank
Well said Frank,

Ard
Old 04-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Light tippets for steelhead & salmon?

Thanks Ard,

I guess you are back from the trip? How was the trail?

Frank
Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Things from Hewitt to the Susitna were good. The ash has been covered by some fresh snow through Skwentna, down the Skwentna River, and all the way down the Yetna to the confluence with the big Su.

From the junction up stream to Deshka Landing the river is covered with ash and the overflow is everywhere creating deep standing water and sink holes all over the place. You had to keep your eyes open or you would find out how well that snowmachine would float.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Not for salmon/steelhead, but in the winter of 2007 I was using 3X tippet
fishing for trout on wooly buggers. My casts into the wind were better, and
it was a GOOD winter for trout ! The only problem was snags. It takes quite
a pull to break a 3X tippet, and there were times that I thought the leader
to line connection might break first......

The guy that took the picture of the huge LMB I caught a few days ago, told
me that he was fishing for false albacore on 6lb test: got spooled a few times,
but then retrieved the line and caught more fish than anyone else on the
jetty...blah, blah, blah. I just let those stories go in one ear and out the
other .