The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 01:05 AM

smog7 will become famous soon enough
Default How many lines are necessary?

After reading through this thread:

Full Sink vs. Sink Tip Lines

I began to wonder about fly lines. I understand that fishing environments and fish targets dictate the lines used, but I am not sure which specific flies should be used with certain lines.

I currently have a WF6F line on my reel. I live in California's central coast and predominantly fish in lakes (with the occasional stream) for planted rainbows, panfish, and bass.

do certain flies work best with specific fly lines? would it be a wise investment to have a second spool with sinking line?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: How many lines are necessary?

You should not be at a dissadvantige using floating lines (they would be best in most cases) you may consider an intermediate line, but in most cases a full sinking line would be a waste of money for still water

I use Intermediate line because we get very strong wind and the wind cant shift it if its under water the areas I use still water fishing is still moving just very slow and I did fine with floating line for many years.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I like Chris's approach and I should add that when I lived in the lower 48 I used floating line with all my rigs except in special circumstances. If you are getting by with the line you have don't let the discussion on a thread make you second guess yourself. I use my tips because I live in salmon country all year long. If I were fishing for them only a few days each year I would do better with an outfit I am used to handling than something new. Since I use the sink line every time I fish I know how to work it and I know where my fly is and what it's doing.

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 AM

smog7 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the advice guys, I am going to stick with my floating line until I find a real reason to use something else.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

If you predominantly fish lakes then you could stick with what you have if it's working. The only reason I would suggest using a sink tip or sinking line is if you were to fish some colder days where the Bass went a little deeper in the lakes to hide.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I do fish allot of Stillwater sooooo
I have Intermediate (for ice off or fall or anytime fish are cruising the shore in shallow)
Then I have Type II, III, IV, V & VII.
The fast sinking lines aid in getting down fast to the big fish and not get picked off by the smaller ones swimming more shallow.
I also like Depth Charge which is 30' of grain weighted line followed by 70' of Intermediate so when stripping it pulls nice and straight with no jumping.

There is also DENSITY COMPENSATED sinking lines that sink uniformly with no belly, or WET CELL which will form a belly (great for weedy beds)

I use my Type II and III on rivers as well in both the DC and the WC. Works killer.

I think everyone needs at least a TYPE II or and INTERMEDIATE line. All lines will eventually hit the bottom, just some faster than others, and sometimes that is what is needed.

BUT, don't forget, deep nymphing with a long leader off a floating line can work awesome as well. I use up to 30' of straight leader material and a slip indicator.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Stillwater fishing is a depth game. Having the right line will make the difference between a lousy day and a great one. Joni put a great list of lines that are good to have. Do you need them all? Maybe. Maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I think everyone needs at least a TYPE II or and INTERMEDIATE line. All lines will eventually hit the bottom, just some faster than others, and sometimes that is what is needed.
What she said.

MP
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I picked up spare spools and sink tip lines and full sink lines for the three rods I used all the time. Those spools/lines still travel with the rods in the side pockets of my rod caddy. But I can't remember the last time I used them on my 4 or six weight rods. Partly because I just didn't need them. And parlty because I never really learned how to fish them. Since I didn't know how to use them, I had little success and so, little motivation to use them.
Like any tool, you have to learn how to use them. And unlike floaters, there's less feedback.
Din't keep me from buying a quad tip for the 8 wt, though.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog7 View Post
After reading through this thread:

Full Sink vs. Sink Tip Lines

I began to wonder about fly lines. I understand that fishing environments and fish targets dictate the lines used, but I am not sure which specific flies should be used with certain lines.

I currently have a WF6F line on my reel. I live in California's central coast and predominantly fish in lakes (with the occasional stream) for planted rainbows, panfish, and bass.

do certain flies work best with specific fly lines? would it be a wise investment to have a second spool with sinking line?
Look at it this way. Do all the fish in the lakes to fish feed on the surface or sub surface? Don't limit yourself to one line. The warmer the weather gets, the deeper the fish will feed. They stay at a comfortable water temp and in the summer months, guess where they are. Think like a fish.