The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Bugs of the Underworld

I don't remember if these vids were posted before but thought they would be worth repeating.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Bugs of the Underworld

Yat, those were great... I have the DVD and highly recommend it. It can make you re-think how you tye certain patterns...

Dan
Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I've seriously considered taking some of Ralf and Lisa Cutters Classes since they're in Truckee, CA and thats only 2 hours from where I live in Sacramento, County.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yat: That was great, thanks for sharing!

Larry

Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had seen the first video, but not the second...Thanks! While it's often stated that a dead drift is important, it's clear from these videos that nymphs do not float like driftwood in the water. Charles Ritz discusses fishing with Frank Sawyer, and how Sawyer would twitch his nymph as they passed in front of a trout. While I haven't employed that technique much, I have used it with success. Seeing the midge pupa swim to the surface makes me wonder about hook shape as well, although I have tied some larva lace nymphs on hooks that were given a subtle S bend.

Speaking of dead drift, I suppose that's more of a caution not to allow drag to develop in the line and leader. I've twitched dry flies with good results, especially while watching the hatch twitching and skating on the water surface.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Bugs of the Underworld

Good Stuff Cat daddy..
Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

A good companion book to "Bugs..." is Ralph Cutter's "Fish Food."
Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I've watched Ralf's dvd dozens of times. See something new almost every time.
Makes one think!! Twenty years ago, Ralf shared with me his insights from swimming with fish/bugs. It changed everything for me.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

I just want to know why some regions have more hatches than others. I live in the south and I've never seen a hatch like the one on the tail end of the second video.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

There are a plethora of reasons among some are nutrients in the water, substrate, temperatures, pollution and even variations from year to year due to seasonal drifts in life cycles.
Here is an example of a good year caddis hatch on the Dream Stream.
Click the image to open in full size.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/