The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 10:21 PM

loydtruss is on a distinguished road
Default Fly line and Weight Rod

Just wondering if anyone out there uses a larger line weight with a smaller weight rod. I am thinking about using a 5 wt. fly line with my 4 wt. TFO rod. I think it may give me a little more distance and faster line release. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks Bill
Old 12-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly line and Weight Rod

Hi Bill,

This is almost a daily topic here. Are you having some sort of difficulty with the prescribed line?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

If go with a heavier line, your start getting a slower action your to your rod. Conversely,if you go with a lighter line you'll get a faster action to your rod.

I would say that if you want to get more distance then practice single- and double hauling the line. That will serve you a lot better in the long run than just overlining the rod.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

The casting technique should be more than enough to throw the same amount of line whether you go bigger or not.

The prescribed line weights on each rod are more of a guideline not a rule. I have found many rods to be a bit heavier graphite and a bit slower and there are rods that are much lighter and faster in the same line class.

Different rod manufactures have different people designing and feel becomes more of a perception than a mandate...People want what feels good to them. People are different. Some like it hot, some like it slow.

Keep in mind the rods were probably designed to have a specific attitude, if that attitude does not fit yours there is another brand that will.

I have found that a stout rod is typically tough to LOAD with a small amount of line out and then will become easier with more line (to a point), if your casting distance is to remain short and you need extra line weight to load the rod in close then a line size jump may be a good idea. Or maybe just a line type in the same class will do. (DT vs WF)

You may just want to try the same line size in a different line, a Lazer vs a Mastery will cast a bit different, one is heavier and more brittle and casts further and the other is lighter and more supple concentrating more on feel and accuracy.

So in conclusion, if you cannot feel the rod LOAD then you may want to try a different approach. A different line may do it or maybe just a slight change in your casting stroke may also accommodate.

Hope this helps and I would be happy to explain more in detail.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi loydtruss,

It does have some to do with with TFO rod you are using. If it is a Pro, Signature or Finesse series I wouldn't over line it. These actions are not very fast and over lining would make them even slower. If you are relative new to fly fishing you may gain more distance from improving your casting. I would search out some instructions before experimenting with line weight changes. A casting instructor can pin point any problems and make adjustments to your casting stroke.

Now if you happen to be fishing a shorter rod on very small streams you may gain some advantage from over lining your rod. A heavier line would load the rod better when you have fifteen or twenty feet of line out. It all depends on what your circumstances are. You didn't give us a lot of information in your question.

Frank
Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM

loydtruss is on a distinguished road

Sorry I didn't get back sooner to you guys, but my wife and i have been out of town for 5 days and i didn't have access to the net. Thanks for the info. I will stay with the same wt. line and rod to match. I see the advantage in using the recommended line with the same wt.rod. I know if I need some info. I can always come here and get the answer. Thanks again for your help. Bill
Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 AM

jabster is on a distinguished road

When talking about line speed and trying to get as much line speed and distance as you can, you need a light line. For example I did a lot of competition practice with a 5wt line on a 8wt rod last year. Would I ever fish with that combo - no,no and no. For tight spots and short distances a overweighted line is nice, but if your going to do overhead casting and want to fish with a bit more range go with a 4wt. It really depends on where and what your fishing for.