The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 AM

flyfishdictio is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing for the disabled

As a fly fish instructor and school owner I do my best to educate anyone who would like to learn how to fly fish. I found that other schools hesitate to teach the disabled and I find this unbelievable. I recently enjoyed a class with a couple of guys in wheel chairs and that went great.

Now my question is this;
I have heard about fly fishing gear that has been modified to help disabled fly fishers. But I am having a hard time getting details on what kind of modifications we are talking about. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with these modifications ? Any tips, tricks or directions would be highly appreciated,

Thanks,

Mike Hermes
Old 12-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing for the disabled

Mike.that's a good deedwe bought some reels for the PHW...Project Healing Waters you may find good infos there.
Long ago I saw a video of a blind guy flyfishing with an instructor...that was a sight to melt the heart.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:00 AM

flyfishdictio is on a distinguished road

Hi jbbfly,

Thanks for the tip, and by the way, I don't consider it a good deed.
If I was disabled I would do whatever I could to keep on fishing. And I would hope that there would be fly fishers out there that would be willing to help me out if that was the case. I know fly fishers in wheelchairs, guys that are blind or fly fishing with one arm. And they all have a few things in common :

1. They are loud
2. They talk cars ( whether they can still drive or not )
2. They drink beer
3. Their fish that broke off was always bigger than mine

So in short, they are just guys...

Anything that I can come up with to make their lives a bit easier would be great.

Thanks again,

Mike

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 AM ----------

By the way, I know Healing Waters and I think it's a great initiative.
I put their banner up on my site

Mike
Old 12-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome Mike.I ran a fishing school for kids for a few years and if there was one like yours in the neighbourhood I would be glad to help.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyfishdictio,

To help disabled fly fishers you can't do better than Project Healing Waters. We have worked with them here and in England. They have designed rods that can be held by a person with one hand or even part of one limb. If there isn't a regional program in your area you might consider forming one. If there is a regional program you could support that program by offering instructions.

Frank
Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Mike.that's a good deedwe bought some reels for the PHW...Project Healing Waters you may find good infos there.
Long ago I saw a video of a blind guy flyfishing with an instructor...that was a sight to melt the heart.
flyfishdictio: The reels JP is referring to were Franco Vivarelli Reels that were purchased out of Dan Bailey's Fly Shop, he gave us a good discount on the reels to help support PHW. Here is a link to the reels: https://www.dan-bailey.com/Via/viaLa...VIAUSERDOCLIST

Larry

Larry