The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Bristol Bay Fundraising Effort - Great Deals on Great Trips! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/8755-bristol-bay-fundraising-effort-great-deals-great-trips.html)

sa4ak 04-03-2009 09:52 AM

Bristol Bay Fundraising Effort - Great Deals on Great Trips!

Visit Sportsman's Alliance for Alaska to link to the current listings on the 2nd annual Bristol Bay conservation campaign fundraising auction. Help fight the Pebble Mine and get a deal on some great new gear or trips in return!

There are a few weeks left in the auction, with listings like these still to be bid on:

* Winston Boron II-MX 9-weight fly rod
* Islander LX4.0 fly reel
* Simms Headwaters boot w/ Vibram sole
* Sunglasses from Smith Optics
* Orvis ZG Helios rod + Vortex reel
* Orvis TLS rod + Battenkill reel
* Pagania waders, boots, jacket

IN ADDITION TO THE GEAR ABOVE, THERE ARE SOME TREMENDOUS DEALS AVAILABLE FOR TRIPS IF YOU CAN GET AWAY THIS SUMMER:

 Kulik Lodge trip for 2 (July dates) $6,600 ($3,300 per person!)

 Copper River Lodge trip for 2 $4,800 ($2,400 per person!)

 Rainbow Point Lodge trip for 2 $7,495 ($3,748 per person!)

 CA School of Fly Fishing class for 1 student $500

 Royal Coachman Lodge trip for 2 $7,500 ($3,750 per person!)

 Legend Lodge trip for 4 $9,878 ($2,470 per person!)

 Great AK Fishing Lodge trip for 2 $5,995 ($2,998 per person!)

Notes: There are just one of these trips available at these prices, and the deals are first-come, first-served.

Contact Scott Hed - Director, Sportsman's Alliance for Alaska for more details on the trip(s) you are interested in.

Scott@SportsmansAlliance4AK.org

MTskibum 04-03-2009 10:02 AM

Re: Bristol Bay Fundraising Effort - Great Deals on Great Trips!

I am taking a senior level environmental engineering class this semester, and our last class we talked exclusively about pebble mine.

Here are a couple facts.

They want to build the largest mine tailings pond in the world. To do this they are going to build the largest damn of any kind in the world. Even bigger than the one in china. It is going to be 4 miles long by 750 feet high. It will damn off a canyon and that will be the tailings pond.

The problem with doing that in this location is that it is near a major fault line. Less than 100 miles from where a 9.2 earthquake went off in 1964.

Even the company that is mining has no confidence in the fact that it can keep the fish safe. They have said that they will pay for the cost of building and maintaining a hatchery when the inevitable disaster occurs.

The class i am in is fairly pro-industry. We talked about how Hooker Chemical, the company who caused love canal, actually did no wrong. I myself am fairly pro-industry as well, I think ANWAR should be opened up for drilling. However i oppose Pebble mine.