The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fish I Would Never Eat!

I like fishing for shad, and have tried eating them ONCE, only once never again.. Carp on the other hand have a nice flavor if done right, along with fish like eels.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In the town where I grew up, shad was an important cash crop. Some of my high school friends drift-net fished for them commercially.
Numbers are down now but locally there are still local families of expert shad boners and the shad roe is a delicately. Down river, an annual planked shad festival is a big deal.

Every season I catch a couple of these babies. Sea robins kinda freak me out

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

As for eating a fresh stocked trout; I tried that once. I have never eaten any of the sludge that is in the bottom of a concrete run at a fish hatchery but the stock trout I ate were close enough for me. Think about this a moment OK? Thousands of fish, fish that eat and then poop in that run, now you're getting the picture. I could never get the people who went fishing in stocked Pennsylvania waters and kept the fish on opening day.

I used to work with guys who kept stockers by the hundred. Back then the limit was 8 / day and most of these guys were poachers to boot. I would overhear them exchanging recipes for "Good Trout Cooking" most had to do with putting bacon in or on the fish while baking or broiling them. I always wondered why a person would go to such trouble to make something that tasted pretty much like the muck on the creek bottom taste like bacon. The first Trout I ever ate that tasted good was taken from a fork of a Montana River that shall be unnamed but they were Brook Trout and they were good to eat. The year was 1980 and there were so many fish I had no guilt in taking a few for my camp. I also ate a wild brown trout once that had managed to get my dry fly hooked in his gills and was nearly bleed to death when I brought him in. This too was a good fish to eat.

I found the King Salmon that return to the rivers emptying to Lake Ontario to taste like muck from the bottom of the lake also. I even tried smoking them but could not eradicate the foul aftertaste of them and so I only ever kept 2 of them. Those Steelhead from Lake Erie tasted as good as store bought salmon and I used to keep some of them but there is a Health Advisory on eating too much of that so.............

Then there is Alaska Salmon, now you're talking. Other than the salmon I harvest I don't keep any fish I catch unless I'm camped in the Bush and a fish seems to make sense. The Grayling and char here are good when fried on a fire. All told when it comes to the passion for Trout I am 99.99% C&R and I'm OK with that.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I'm with Fly Bum. Can't fish for what to me is inedible fish, like carp. Not much for shad either, but I do like eels (although I don't flyfish for them). I guess "edible" is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Here is your europian cuisine insider info
trout is 10 euros per kilo
eel is 14 euros per kilo
smoked carp is 20euros per kilo
This tell you something?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
eel is 14 euros per kilo
This tell you something?
Yes it tells me Europeans are nuts. JK

I just couldn't pass that up! I sincerely I don't think that.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I have yet to try it, but I've always thought that carp might work if you took out the mud vein and then threw it in a stew or chowder.(The carp meat, not the mud vein.) Something to give it a better taste, since I've heard that they're pretty tasteless.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should move to Europe and start carp farmin'!!!$$$ milt.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I can't see myself eating carp. Might be fun to fly fish for, but the ych factor is too ingrained in me to try to eat one.
Lots of people here class whitefish with carp and suckers, but whitefish are good smoked. I've probably kept and eaten more whitefish in the past few years than trout.
Lots of folks denigrate bottom feeding fish, but who can say no to crabs and lobster?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
eel is 14 euros per kilo
This tell you something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
I have yet to try it, but I've always thought that carp might work if you took out the mud vein and then threw it in a stew or chowder.(The carp meat, not the mud vein.) Something to give it a better taste, since I've heard that they're pretty tasteless.
Ant the trick too carp is to brine (even add brown sugar too the brine as much as 50/50 unless you get slime on them when done then reduce the sugar) them for a few days (gets red of the excess moisture and firms the fish flesh to make them edible) leave them for a day for the salt to stabilise then smoke them or fry them from what I hear they are prity good (and this was coming from someone in the states in florida)

I would eat any perch I can get they are great after geting one by accident (while after trout) I was upset the fight scared the trout off and it was gut hooked (I wanted my fly back) so I took it home and expected some inedable horror but was plesently suprised and would eat it over trout anyday!

while sea fishing I do it for food I wont eat baracouda, or red cod as most of the ones I have got before have had worms in the flesh (I dont even look now they go strait back). The best ones too get are Kahawai (they fight real hard and can be fun on a fly rod), trumpeter, blue cod, and butter fish

Salmon here are fairly bland for land locked I have yet to get one from the sea and hear they are better eating

Eel, I have eaten it and would again, around where I fish there is a huge export (for europe) of smoked eel. in the evening the river bed is covered with them, there are even eels out during the day sometimes (this is another one you need to dry abit and remove the kidney or they will taste like s#*t)

Trout, I prefur to take a fish under 5lb (between 1lb and 5lb as large fish are where the good genes are and will produce better fry for future seasons) unless it wont survive.the most I have taken in one season is 5 fish, and in 1 day 1 fish. The limit bag where I fish is 2 per day and in some waters there is a maximum length to protect the best fish.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD