The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Fish I Would Never Eat!

I'm not sure what it is, but I have a hard time being motivated about fishing for fish I would never eat. This is one reason so far I've never fished for Carp for instance.

Its not like I eat a lot of the fish I catch either unless I'm fishing in the Salt then my whole purpose if fishing to eat. I fish for trout nine times out out ten though and I release them I'd guess 98% of the time unless they are planters and the truth is I typically try to get away from planters.

I do like to fish for shad and I'd never eat them and if it wasn't for the fact that they run up the American River in Sacramento I wouldn't fish for them, even then I only do that once or twice per season.

What got me to thinking about this was the bone fish video in another thread. I love watching fishing videos I especially enjoy watching Tarpon Fishing videos, but I'd never spend money it takes to do it.

For me there is a reward in occassionally keeping and eating what I catch, not to mention I love eating fish.

Is anyone else like this?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:07 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fish I Would Never Eat!

I think there is a bit of instinct left in us and that primal instinct makes us feel satisfied when we eat something we have caught. We are hunter gathering peoples.

I will reserve eating a carp for the time when there is no food left and I have to go catch it to survive..I bet it tastes a lot better that way too.

I like your point about not targeting fish I would never eat. I have pondered on this topic many times in the past.

Is it just a filter?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I thought that way about Carp that I wouldn't fish for it because it was a gross "bottom feeder" but after hearing the fight stories and seeing my brother hook some big ones I have decided that just because I won't eat it doesn't mean I won't fish for it. They are great fighters just like bonefish and it also gives me more opportunities to fish in other places when the river is blown out.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
They are great fighters just like bonefish and it also gives me more opportunities to fish in other places when the river is blown out.
I understand that they are sometimes referred to in fun as Golden Bonefish. The same way with Shad which I fish for 1-2 times per season and their nick name is Poor Man's Bonefish. When we get the bigger shad in the river on years after there has been lots of rain those babies take you to the backing and cause lots of bloody knucles.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

I watched a British cooking show with Hugh Fernley Whittingstall (sp?). He used to have a show where he travelled around Britain in an old Land Rover and foraged off the land. He then graduated to a small freehold where he tried to be self sustaining.

One show I remember, he caught a carp in a local lake and built some contraption to keep it in clear fresh water for a few days. After that, he cooked it up along with sea bass and served it to a bunch of guests...they gobbled it up and afterwards he revealed what he had done. They were unable to distinguish which was carp.

Asians also consider carp a delicacy. Don't know the species differences though.

I may be going to Oahu for a bit and heard that bonefish aren't great to eat because of all the bones. Supposedly the locals scarf them up though.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

Speaking as a redneck who will eat nearly anything, I can tell you that carp are edible. And they can be prepared in such a manner as to make them taste as good as any other fish. You just have to clean them properly. Yes, the bones are a pain, but if you're dealing with a fish that weighs 30 pounds or more, there's plenty of meat left, even after cutting around the impressive skeletal structure of a carp. If you need to know how, Youtube is the answer.

Perhaps the most significant impediment to taste is the mud vein. A more research on Youtube and a tiny bit of effort with the fillet knife will take care of that.

That takes care of carp. Sadly, I have never found a way to make bullhead catfish taste good. But that doesn't mean I haven't eaten them. I just had to use lots of tartar sauce.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 PM

Just the thought of eating carp give me the hebejebes I would likely need someone to pull same joke on me as the English mentioned above did with the Sea Bass. After that my thinking would likely change if I didn't lose my meal after being told.

I love Catfish, but agree with you on the bullheads.

I know Asians who steam shad and eat it, but all those bones just like the bonefish I'm sure, would make it too much work for me if I wasn't between eaten in and starving.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:18 PM

merkin_muffley is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't eat the local sturgeon, not so much because of their palatability but because an organism which has spent 30-60 years sucking PCB's and heavy metals from the bottom of a river can't be good for you.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkin_muffley View Post
I wouldn't eat the local sturgeon, not so much because of their palatability but because an organism which has spent 30-60 years sucking PCB's and heavy metals from the bottom of a river can't be good for you.
Sturgeon is fantastic I love eating sturgeon. However, the rivers and lakes around Sacramento and actually a lot of the NorCal Coastal rivers and lakes are so full of mercury that I very seldom eat any fish caught out of them.

When I'm in the mood for catfish frankly I go to a local catfish farm and catch a couple. Come to think of it they have sturgeon there too, I've never thought of catching one at the farm, but since they carge by the pound that would be an expensive proposition.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:52 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I used to spend some days with my grandpa sitting on his dock fishing for carp in the Tualatin river. We used corn and man we caught some huge carp. They would double a trout rod over. Grandpas cats were well fed.