The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 05:17 PM

wasink is on a distinguished road
Default General Information

I am 62 years old. I have been fly fishing for 10 years. I have severe arthritis in both hands. It is becoming more and more difficult for me to tie flies to my leader. Would anyone respond to using a small swivel for attaching flies as an option for me? Would a swivel affect the action of the fly ability to catch fish? If a swivel is a viable option, any recommendations for brand, size, etc.

I am a new member. Greetings to all.

Bill
Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: General Information

For your help I will recommend that you try this product
Quik Tye Tool at BEARSDEN.COM
Trygve
Old 04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bill

First off welcome to the forum, we look forward to your fishing reports.
Sorry to hear about your arthritis.

Something I do to help with small flies might work for you. My eyesight isn't very good when it comes to tying on flies smaller than #20, what I do is tie a piece of tippet to the fly while at home under my bright light at the fly tying desk. Then I put the fly and tippet section in a small zip lock back, or you could use on of those leader wallets. Then when I get to the stream I just tie the tippet to the leader. In your case to make it easy you could try using a loop to loop connection between the tippet and leader. At home you tie the fly to the tippet section and on the far end use a surgeons loop (or get a friend to help). On the leader end you also use a surgeons loop, then just use the loop to loop connection to change out flies. Best of luck.

Larry
Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought one of these tools for tying flies: Ty Rite It really
helps twirling the tippet to tie a knot! Combined with a threader, it can't
be beat. Having said that, I like the idea of tying them ahead of time, and then attaching the tippet/fly combo to the leader. It might be better to use
a snap swivel to connect the pre-tied fly to the leader, rather than snapping
the fly to a swivel. You can still use the tools listed to tie you set-up at home. You could always ask someone to tie them up for you (my wife has'
never tied a fly on in her life !).
Old 04-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Knots with a Twist: Two Easy Hemostat Knots from Lefty Kreh

You may even want to try this.

Also fas-snaps on the leader, to attach to the fly would work, and not have an adverse effect on wet or dry fishing.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Bill welcome to the board.

You might want to take a look at these:

No Knot Fas-Snap
Cabela's -- No-Knot Fast Snaps

Tippet threader
Brumfield Enterprises

And that link Auntie Em posted looks like it might be a great help for tying knots.

mark
Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Attachment 2061

Or you might try this ...
The furled leader is "handshake" connected to the fly line; there's a 3mm tippet ring on the small end. The fly has a tippet tied at the eye, and a fas-snap on the butt end, to attach it to the leader. This can all be done in advance on numerous flies, and switched out stream side as needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01096.jpg (85.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 PM

wasink is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions. I had not thought about using the snap swivel at the leader and then attaching the tippet with a fly already attached to the leader using the snap swivel. I do use the loop to loop method of attaching the tippet to the leader. The suggestion of tying flies to the tippet at home and putting them in a small zip lock back.

Thanks again to all of. Great fishing to all of you.

Bill
Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I attached some photos from an old post on the same subject.. You can get a pair of those Electronic Mini-Grabbers like the one in red for larger flies, say down to 18 - 20 or you can get an old ball point pen, put a piece of wire forming a loop in the ink tube & crimp it tightly. When you click the pen the loop comes out & when you release it, it retracts & grabs the fly. You can almost tie on a 28 with gloves on using this. I also have one of those C & F boxes with the threaders in it & I'll pre-load Tiny Flies If I think about it. I always have some basic midges & tiny BWO's strung on them... I've also seen nippers with those threaders on them.

Attached Thumbnails Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

The above is from an old post. Those little fas-snaps that Mark mentioned work well . There are some knot tiers on the market that will do the trick also.. Have you tried those pressure gloves for arthritic hands. I came across them in a " Footsmart Catalog" & just remembered about them. Arthritis Gloves : Arthritic Hand Support : Joint Health : Footsmart..Anyway Welcome to the Forum & good Luck

Neil
Old 04-04-2009, 03:58 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

One way to do it more easy in the field. For the 50+ people that have problem to see the hook eye this is a nice tip. Make a loop with a dyneema (fireline) line on the hook when making the fly. Then you have a much bigger hook eye to put your tippet in. For nymph fishing the fly will also make more movement in the water.
Click the image to open in full size.
Trygve