The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Down Size?

Ok. here is what I use (for now)
box 1...dries...trout only.
box 2... nymphs, eggs, worm patterns...trout, carp, steelies,smallies
box 3... dark streamers... trout, steelies, smallies, walleye, sauger,pike
box 4... light streamers... white bass, hybrid bass,gar
Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

This is a funny post for me because how I arrange my boxes (yeah, that does sound weird) changes about once a year. Currently I have a small box hanging from my lanyard with the flies I think I will need that day, and a larger box in my pack with flies that I might need that day, or that I might need if I go to Russia that day. Then I have about four boxes at home with residual flies I tied arranged roughly in the following way:

Streamers
Nymphs
Dries
Experimental or don't fit in the other categories.

Thanks for the post.

Bret

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 12-30-2010, 10:00 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Box 1 - Terrestrials (for late summer and bassin')
Box 2 - Dries (mostly traditional)
Box 3 - Dries (mostly parachutes)
Box 4 - Streamers/bass poppers
Box 5 - Wets/midges (smaller box)

Sad thing is I'm running outta room. I have a dozen eggs/san juan worms and a dozen humpies that have no home!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

What a coinkydink: I just rearranged all my boxes a couple of weeks ago. The dry box was a mess and the hackles on the larger ones were getting squashed. Also there were a lot of bugs in there from long ago that were really UGLY.
So, now I have drys, nymphs, stones, streamers, one box each large and small. Come summer, I'll find a deeper box for those big buggy drys.
And since I'll end up with flies from the turkey swap AND the nymph swap, I'll probably have to find a bigger box for those.
Part of the problem is that I'm not fishing enough. I'm a guy who thinks that there's a fish under every log. I'm a sucker for a log jam or a sweeper. I gotta fish 'em to a froth, till the logs got more feathers on it than a duck. I should be out losing flies like crazy. Then I would have plenty of room in the boxes.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:04 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I love threads like this. They give me the opportunity to laugh at myself all over again for a variety of reasons.
OK, this is what I take out in my boat for bass fishing:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

And this is what, invariably, I'll use all day, every time:

But its comforting to know that I have lots of back up and other options. That's important, don't you think?
Yours in excess,
Gary

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Down size? DOWN SIZE? Good lord, man, whatever for??
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Down Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
. . . Sad thing is I'm running outta room. I have a dozen eggs/san juan worms and a dozen humpies that have no home!
Well, Axle, taking pity upon your situation I would be more than willing to provide your "orphan" flies a new home [COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 01-01-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I have a mayfly box (its life cycles of any that I will encounter) , a caddis box, a still water/trrestrial/wet fly box (it is a huge box), a streamer box , a smelt fly box , a salmon fly box (this is also huge and bulging might need another).

I carry the mayfly, caddis, and still water boxes, always
If I remember Ill take the smelt fly box when Im going to need it

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD