The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 PM

smudger564 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smudger564
Default Sourcing Neoprene gloves?

Hi All, After the very poor weather here in the UK over the past two months or so, I'm going for Neoprene Gloves.

I can find thicknesses down to 2mm, but no lower. Does anyone have any info, on getting hold of thinner Neoprene?

I'm in contact with a few guys in China, but have nothing from there yet. There is one Neoprene Manufacturer in the US called Foamorder.com who may come through. Other than that, I have nothing.

Any info would be fantastic.

Best Regards

Stuart
Old 12-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Sourcing Neoprene gloves?

I have a pair of old Orvis Neos circa 1994 I think. Nice gloves but I could never handle line with them on. It was just too different for me. I use 100% wool without the finger tips and like them. I have also had the wool with the mitten flap, these are good for warming up when the paws get too chilly.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Stuart,
Glacier Glove makes a 1mm thick glove. It is called the Lightweight Pro Angling Glove. It can be sourced from any Glacier Glove retailer. I have not seen one, so I cannot make a claim on its performance. Most neoprene gloves will be 2 mm.

MP
Old 12-30-2010, 12:59 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I tried neoprene gloves for duck hunting and I bought a pair last year for fishing that had the fold back fingertips.
For duck hunting, they were great for setting and picking up decoys, where you have to get your hands wet. Beyond that, I didn't care for them: too bulky, too slippery and not as warm as other gloves. If they fit well, they split and tore. If they fit loose, they're not dextrous enough for shooting.
The fishing gloves I bought last year weren't so great, either. Not so warm, and the line constantly hung up on the folded fingers or the velcro patches. Lucky for me, I didn't really need gloves most of that trip.

And, BTW, they'll make your hands smell like feet.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 AM

smudger564 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smudger564

Hi, the two main features these gloves have to have, is insulation on a full finger glove and maximum dexterity. Anything else is a plus for me. I do know several people are intersted in the findings on this. Both here in the US and in the UK too.

Regards

Stuart
Old 12-30-2010, 02:48 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I use a Kenai full finger fishing glove. It's a wool/polyester blend, slit fingers, and neoprene contact surface. They're cheap so if you lose one no biggie. They provide enough warmth and dexterity for my use. It gets pretty cold where I''m at. Good luck . SF

Fishing Gloves Reviews - Glacier Gloves Kenai Polartec 200
Old 12-30-2010, 06:25 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I've been using a pair of scuba gloves for over a year. They took some getting use to but once there on they stay on. I have the Henderson 3mm neoprene and like them. They leak now at the seams from being taken on and off so much so I ordered another pair. Leisurepro.com and scuba.com is where I ordered from. My hands get cold pretty easy and the cold water scuba gloves work for me. I'm going to try the camaro brand next to see how long they last before leaking. I just looked and camaro does make a 1mm neoprene glove. Some of those gloves are not cheap but I don't mind paying $50 bucks for a good pair of gloves to have warm dry hands.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:28 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

although not exactly what you are looking for these are the best i have ever had:

Simms Fishing Products : : WINDSTOPPER® Foldover Mitt - New style
Old 01-01-2011, 04:12 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I agree with MP on the Glacier Cove gloves. Mine are fingerless and I can handle the rod and line with them. I figure if my hands are too cold with those on then I probably shouldn't be outside at all (hasn't happened yet by the way).

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock