The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM

sevenmxf is on a distinguished road
Default Two days to fish outside of Denver next week. Suggestions?

Hey all,

I have the chance to fish on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week somewhere relatively close to Denver. I've taken a look at the Frying Pan, South Platte, Arkansas and even a few tailwaters in WY. Would love to keep the trip to and from Denver a short as possible, but I'd drive 3-4 hours max each way if necessary.

I'm leaning towards the Arkansas below the dam in Pueblo or the Frying Pan if the weather is right and getting over the mountains isn't too brutal.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers and Many Thanks.
Michael
Old 12-30-2010, 01:08 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Two days to fish outside of Denver next week. Suggestions?

We (Blood Knot Magazine) are sponsoring a fly fishing competition in Pueblo in early January. We fished that run below the dam last week (55 degrees and sunny) and had a great time. BWO (size 20-22) hatches for the dry fly enthusiasts, but get deep for the 20 inchers. Lots of great fish there.

We are currently getting a lot of snow so it might change things a bit. Pueblo is probably the closest, most convenient tailwater. As much as I love Cheeseman, Frying Pan, or the Blue, driving in bad weather to fish in the snow is not everyone's idea of fun.

Hope this helps,
Rory
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryseiter View Post
We (Blood Knot Magazine) are sponsoring a fly fishing competition in Pueblo in early January. We fished that run below the dam last week (55 degrees and sunny) and had a great time. BWO (size 20-22) hatches for the dry fly enthusiasts, but get deep for the 20 inchers. Lots of great fish there.

We are currently getting a lot of snow so it might change things a bit. Pueblo is probably the closest, most convenient tailwater. As much as I love Cheeseman, Frying Pan, or the Blue, driving in bad weather to fish in the snow is not everyone's idea of fun.

Hope this helps,
Rory
Sweet. Thanks much, Rory.

Michael
Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

The friendliest drive if the weather is bad is Pueblo tailwater as Rory suggests. You will be on I25 most of the way. It is about 112 or so miles each way. There are closer alternatives including Clear Creek, Bear Creek and of course Deckers. Then there is the Dream Stream which is also about 100 miles each way. Good luck and hope the weather cooperates.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
The friendliest drive if the weather is bad is Pueblo tailwater as Rory suggests. You will be on I25 most of the way. It is about 112 or so miles each way. There are closer alternatives including Clear Creek, Bear Creek and of course Deckers. Then there is the Dream Stream which is also about 100 miles each way. Good luck and hope the weather cooperates.
Hey yatahey -

Options are good. Thanks much. If weather and road conditions aren't an issue, which would you choose?

Michael
Old 12-30-2010, 03:08 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

First choice would be the Dream Stream, second would be Deckers third would be the Ark. Although the warmest weather will undoubtedly be in Pueblo. Bring warm clothes.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

If you have the choice, I would go Frying Pan. Either place could be very cold so you just have to be ready for it. The Ark below Pueblo will definitely get you into a few fish, but I have been there three times in the last week and it is getting a lot of holiday pressure. Either place should make for a good trip. Good luck, and let me know how you do if you have the time.

Bret

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjweller View Post
If you have the choice, I would go Frying Pan. Either place could be very cold so you just have to be ready for it. The Ark below Pueblo will definitely get you into a few fish, but I have been there three times in the last week and it is getting a lot of holiday pressure. Either place should make for a good trip. Good luck, and let me know how you do if you have the time.

Bret
Thanks very much, Bret. Having never been to CO to fish (actually, I've never been outside of NY and PA to flyfish), I appreciate the perspective. I'll probably check weather and river conditions when I land and make the call at that point.

Happy New Year.
Michael
Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Are you staying in Denver proper or in the Burbs? North or South?
If your North keep heading that way and hit the Miracle Mile in Wyo.
If your South head to the "Chuck" If you want to do battle with 2 lane traffic up and back from the mountains and deal with a 10k' pass and the approach to the tunnels... head west . The Blue in Silverthorn is en fuego right now.If your adventures and want more more more of the Highway... Frying pan has your name all over it. If you really wnat to find some solitude and good fish the "Gunn" at Pleasure Park is fishing well too.
"M.M." from Den bout 4.5 hrs
"Chuck" from Den bout 2.5 hours
Blue at "Sil T" bout 2 hrs..depending on the ski crowd you could be in traffic on the way back for up to four hours.
Frying Pan from Den,,bout 3.5 to 4 hrs
Gunnison at Pleasure Park from Den bout 5.5 hrs
Holla when you get in maybe could swing a day..I'm itching to get out..
Steve
Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 PM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

Just in case you didn't have enough choices;

The Poudre
Colorado Fishing Network: Cache la Poudre River

Big Thompson
Big Thompson River - Front Range Waters - Fishing Reports - Trout's Fly Fishing

Laramie
Our Waters, Four Seasons, Anglers, North Platte, Gray Reef, Laramie Plains Lakes, Wyoming
The Laramie River, From the Wyoming Angling Guide

St. Peters Fly Shop, Ft. Collins, river reports and such for the Poudre, Big Thompson, Laramie, Encampment, N. Platte
Home | St. Peters Fly Shop, Ft Collins Fly Fishing Shop, Estes Park Fly Fishing, Rocky Mountain National Park Fly Fishing, Fly Fishing Rocky Mountain National Park, Cache la Poudre River Fly Fishing

West Laramie Fly Store
West Laramie Fly Store

Call the fly shops. They can tell you more than me.