The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 12:05 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default fav fishing books

I have been buying a few books on fishing and tying lately to help add to my library and one that I purchased recently was Dave Whitlocks Guide to aquatic trout foods 2nd edition. It is a fabulous book and I recommend it to anyone looking to improve their knowledge of trout and the foods they eat.
While on the topic of books what are your top books on fly fishing or tying(hot new reads, oldies but goodies,etc)? Lets see what kind of a list we can come up with.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fav fishing books

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I think this one counts as an oldie.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 PM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

i just started Guide Wars, and i always plug Bill Heavey's "If you dident bring jerky then what did i just eat?" since he is one of the funniest satirical writers i have ever read
Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Nice thread starter, Troutdoorsman. Fishing lit, whether technical, fiction or non gets me through these dark days of winter.

Everything that Gary LaFontaine wrote is worth the read for a serious fisherman. Caddisflies is a tome. I like "The Dry Fly" a lot. Last winter I found at my local library a tattered copy of his first book called "The Challenge of Trout", it's a great read. Gary studied fish, behavior and flies like no one.

I like Dave Hughes's writing for tying references. He is simply and straight forward and like LaFontaine, an innovative tyer with a gift for teaching it in written word.

For fiction and non, read David James Duncan. "The River Why" changed me when I was younger, "River Teeth" is a collection of non-fiction with a lot of fishing stories, I go back to it every year. Gierach is fun, but I find him a little egotistical but still enjoy him in small doses.

Of course, "A River Runs Through It". If you've only seen the movie, do yourself a favor and read this 100 page masterpiece. Maybe I love it because I fish the Big Blackfoot, but I don't think that matters.

Cheers! Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:35 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

A River Runs Through It...
my ultimate favourite..
Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

Charles E. Brooks;

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 12-31-2010, 07:11 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Ive read all of John Gierach's books and enjoyed them greatly, also John Voekler's wich may be better yet. Those two should get you through the new year at least. I prefer essays as opposed to how to types.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 AM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough

Greetings all... this is great thread.. and one I in which I can participate as I am a better reader than fisherperson!

I've read most of Gierach's books as well and find them very enjoyable. Here are a few more I'd recommend.

Ernest Hemingway; "Big Two Hearted River" full text available on line.

Tom Morrisey "Wind River" novel set in Wyoming's Wind River Range

John Galligan -- author of a trilogy of fly fishing mysteries. In order -- "Nail Knot", "Blood Knot" and "Clinch Knot". All involve Dog -- a true trout bum -- and mysteries revolving around clues contained in the ability or inability to tie certain knots.. entertaining

Victoria Houston "Dead Angler" -- from a series of "fishing mysteries" set in Loon Lake, WI.

On the non-fiction side, Paul Schullery's "American Fly Fishing: An illustrated history" is excellent but sometimes hard to find. Paul's other works on the history of Yellowstone and on Fly fishing in general are well written and excellent reads. Try "Cowboy Trout: Fly Fishing in the West"

George Black- "Casting a Spell: the Bamboo Fly rod and the American Pursuit of Perfection" also Ed Engle's "Splitting Cane: Conversations with Bamboo Rodmakers" for insight into the craft. John Gierarch's "Fishing Bamboo" is a good accompaniment.

I picked up a copy of Art Sheck's "Fly Fish Better" for $2 on a discount table. Actually one of the better "how to's" for experienced anglers. A lot of tackle tricks.

Almost forgot one: Stanley Ulanksi's "The Science of Fly Fishing" is very informative. The book was written as a text for a course at UVA (I think). Anyway, it covers materials science (fly rods, materials, actions, etc), the physics of fly casting (why those tight loops are good), then moves on to geology and the formation and characteristics of streams, trout environment and trout behavior, entomology, and optics. Ulanski covers threats to wild trout populations and conservation efforts (this section is the weakest, IMHO). Might not make you a better fly fisherman but will broaden your understanding of the ecology (in the large sense) of the sport. I read this at about the same time as Tom Rosenbauer's "Reading the Water" and "Prospecting for Trout" -- the three worked well together.

I've a longer list... I'll post a few more later.

Last edited by dhaynes; 12-31-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

The River Why. Great on fishing, great story and very funny.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock