The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Problem with putting a loop on m fly line...need advice

I have a line where the loop got cut off and I'm looking for a good alternative for a loop to loop connection. I tried nail knotting some 17lb mono on with the intentions of then tieing a perfection loop, however the mono cuts through the coating on the fly line and then of course slips off. Is this because the mono is too thin, or should i try something else?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Problem with putting a loop on m fly line...need advice

I had this happen with a Monic line. Their clear freshwater lines are SUPER soft. I have used several methods, all of which worked well.

I'm a big fan of Cortland leader loops, but if that's not your cup of tea, most folks here seem to like Amnesia for this kind of thing.
When I did one of mine, I used 20# fluorocarbon, so I can't imagine the 17# being too thin, although that is a distinct possibility. One thing I also did was hit the end of the line with a Zippo to kinda seal and weld it before I added my fluoro loop. But that would probably only work with a line with a mono core.

I have also used the recommended method here, minus the acetone. I cut off the outer coating with a box knife:
Loop connections - Loop on a fly line - Global FlyFisher

If, by chance, this is a Monic line, their core looks to be plain monofilament. It's a little slick for that method, so I used a good bit of glue when making it.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

i suppose i could just nail knot in a leader and then when its shot, tie in a loop from the butt section...seems like the move
Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge View Post
i suppose i could just nail knot in a leader and then when its shot, tie in a loop from the butt section...seems like the move
Exactly..leave about 18" of your old leader and tie a double overhand loop into it and bingo..There ya be..
Did that for years..
Now I just add to the leader and make my own tapper..knotless schmotless.
Your leader need's to hinge..you can add weight at different locations.. it turns over better..so many reasons to never buy a leader again..
Ask "Rim" how many leaders he's purchased in his life time..

Just Drinking out loud..er.. Thinking out loud.
Steve
Old 12-31-2010, 10:07 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

You could whip a loop on the end, trim the cut end at an angle so it goes thru the guides easy, then coat with pliobond, aqua seal etc
Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stroud View Post
I have also used the recommended method here, minus the acetone. I cut off the outer coating with a box knife:
Loop connections - Loop on a fly line - Global FlyFisher
There are a couple of guys at our FF club that swear by the above. They are not even making loops in the flyline. They are just running mono or Amnesia into the core of the flyline and gluing it. They said that they have never had one fail, and let me try to pull it apart. I haven't tried it on my own line so................
If I did it I'd definitely Pliobond the end of the line.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:16 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Problem with putting a loop on m fly line...need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang old king View Post
Exactly..leave about 18" of your old leader and tie a double overhand loop into it and bingo..There ya be..
Did that for years..
Now I just add to the leader and make my own tapper..knotless schmotless.
Your leader need's to hinge..you can add weight at different locations.. it turns over better..so many reasons to never buy a leader again..
Ask "Rim" how many leaders he's purchased in his life time..

Just Drinking out loud..er.. Thinking out loud.
Steve
Like Steve said. Variations I use with good effect is to nail-knot to the fly line an 18" length of red Amnesia (20# or 22#, depending upon leader I want to construct), but then, because I hate loops, I then install the butt-end of a Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect leader so that I can quick-change leaders without the hinging effect I always seem to encounter with loop-to-loops.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

We had a discussion on this a while back. I did a quick search for loop connections and found this thread that has a bunch of info.

d
Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge View Post
If you've already tried nail knotting on a butt extension and that slipped off, I would expect a leader to do the same. Although the butt of the leader is most likely more like 30, and thus should grip the fly line coating rather than cutting through it.

Another option is to re-create a loop in the end of your fly line. This is done via doubling over the fly line and putting 2-3 nail knots around both sections. After doing so, you'll want to put some kind of sealant on it, especially to keep the trimmed off bit of fly line from hanging on the tip-top.

You could use pliobond-
Click the image to open in full size.

But I would use Loon's UV Knot Sense so it comes out clearer, smoother, and harder- (though it might sink the tip of your line slightly)
Click the image to open in full size.

Note- I still recommend using multiple knots like above, I just added this pic to show how the Knot Sense will cure up.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.