The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Getting started

I'm going to take up fly tying and have decided on a peak vise, my question to all of you experienced fly tying people is which tools are best? I would rather learn from your all experience as to what tools are best to buy right off and not have to upgrade later. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:03 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting started

Tools that tyers use include scissors, bobbins, and everything else. Don't skimp on those two, and you'll be happy. Dr. Slick scissors are great, and I like Griffin bobbins with ceramic inserts. While most whip finishing tools are fine, I like Griffin's tool. I also use an adjustable Griffin hair stacker. I use dental floss threaders to thread my bobbins:
Click the image to open in full size.
I used to open a bottle of head cement, dip a needle into it, and then transfer the drop to the threads on a finished fly. That's awkward, smelly, and not very efficient. You can buy a small squeeze bottle from Orvis and other suppliers that does a much better job:
Click the image to open in full size.

P.S. You can save yourself some headaches now by buying a directional lamp and magnifying lens. I use a very cheap lamp with a halogen bulb, but it's small and I can get it close to the fly without bumping into it. I use a Peak magnifying lens on my Peak vise, but good luck finding it on Peak's website. I like to have a lens and light that are separate, as that allows me to get the lens out of the way for larger flies, and also to direct the light angle any way I'd like without effecting the lens position.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Dr Slick's are very nice, but honestly I still use the same crappy tools that came with my starter set. I did upgrade the bobbin to a ceramic so I didn't have any more burs cutting my thread. The only other tool that I think I would need to upgrade are the scissors.

As for the magnifying lens, I recently bought one at Lowes. It's a floor model, which I like because when I don't want it I just roll it out of the way and don't need to worry about it cluttering up my desk. It's also on sale right now on their website.

Portfolio Magnifying Lens
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-31-2010, 09:46 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

For scissors, check out the selections at a craft store; they work as well as Dr.Slicks at a lower price. Ceramic bobbins are great, start out with one or two of them and you can't go wrong...As far as head cement goes, I quit using it entirely, I just do a double whip finish. If I do tye something that needs a finished head I use Sally Hansens HAN. Have fun, but don't say you weren't warned; Fly Tying is an Addiction...

Dan
Old 12-31-2010, 10:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
For scissors, check out the selections at a craft store; they work as well as Dr.Slicks at a lower price.
Yup, that's what I use, scissors from the fabric store

Not that anyone else would want to try this, but I've recently gone very old school and started tying without a bobbin.
Back in the day they used a rubber button, but I have a faucet washer screwed to the edge of my desk.
Using the thread right off the spool, when I need to maintain tension, I'll just trap the thread between the rubber washer and the desk
Old 12-31-2010, 11:16 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I agree about the Dr. Slick tools, especially the scissors. Also, find a guy at your local fly shop and get him to teach you how to use the whip finish tool. It's a little tricky, especially if you try to learn from the internet. I had a guy show me one little thing I was doing wrong and my flies are much more solid now. Good luck--and remember fly tying should be fun, and your flies don't have to look as pristine as those in the shop to catch fish.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 12-31-2010, 11:25 AM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
I'm going to take up fly tying and have decided on a peak vise, my question to all of you experienced fly tying people is which tools are best? I would rather learn from your all experience as to what tools are best to buy right off and not have to upgrade later. Thanks in advance.
I would advise against going high end until you know for sure flytying is for you. On the flip side, I wouldn't get the cheapest out there either. Stick with the quality and pricepoint like your Peak vice...not the best but a good value.

Once you get into things, you'll find a lot more stuff to spend your money on. I would say that flies are better if you buy highest quality material for the tie rather than highest quality tools.

The other thing is that the most expensive tool may not be THE tool for you. I think the highest priced line of tool is probably Wasatch (please correct me if I am wrong) but you may like the feel of say a Rite bobbin.

Good luck and be sure to post up your flies when you start tying.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

jcw-

Congrats and welcome to tying. You're off to a great start with the Peak-- a lot of folks on the forum rave about it. Assuming you're tying stuff like trout flies you'd probably want the following tools:

Bobbin (decent = metal tube Griffin $7, better= ceramic tube Griffin $13 and more expensive ones from Dr Slick, Tiemco, Matarelli, Wasaatch, etc $18 and up)
3 1/2" or 4" long Scissors with fine point (decent = fine point needle point imported scissors, make sure tips line up, better = Dr Slick $13-20)
Whip finisher (decent = Matarelli style imported whip finisher ($6-7), better = genuine Matarelli whip finisher $18) you should learn how to whip by hand without a tool also, but a tool is very helpful.
Bodkin- any import $2
Bobbin threader - any import $2
English style hackle Pliers- any import $2
Hair stacker- decent aluminum or plastic $6-7, better ( less static electricity buildup) = brass $12

You could buy tools individually, or get a Dr Slick Toolkit (for around $50-60, so shop around for best price) which contains all of the above and is very decent.

http://www.drslick.com/products_2009/gift_sets/tyer.jpg

As you get into it I'm sure you'll have tons of questions--- especially about materials so feel free to ask and check out the fly tying forum here and fly tying faq section --

You might also check around to see if any local shops or FF clubs have tying classes--- this is a good time of year for tying classes since many folks will be suffering from cabin fever. Classes are a great way to learn a ton and get off to a good start, and most tying classes are pretty reasonable in terms of cost.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:22 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
jcw-

Congrats and welcome to tying. You're off to a great start with the Peak-- a lot of folks on the forum rave about it. Assuming you're tying stuff like trout flies you'd probably want the following tools:

Bobbin (decent = metal tube Griffin $7, better= ceramic tube Griffin $13 and more expensive ones from Dr Slick, Tiemco, Matarelli, Wasaatch, etc $18 and up)
3 1/2" or 4" long Scissors with fine point (decent = fine point needle point imported scissors, make sure tips line up, better = Dr Slick $13-20)
Whip finisher (decent = Matarelli style imported whip finisher ($6-7), better = genuine Matarelli whip finisher $18) you should learn how to whip by hand without a tool also, but a tool is very helpful.
Bodkin- any import $2
Bobbin threader - any import $2
English style hackle Pliers- any import $2
Hair stacker- decent aluminum or plastic $6-7, better ( less static electricity buildup) = brass $12

You could buy tools individually, or get a Dr Slick Toolkit (for around $50-60, so shop around for best price) which contains all of the above and is very decent.

http://www.drslick.com/products_2009/gift_sets/tyer.jpg

As you get into it I'm sure you'll have tons of questions--- especially about materials so feel free to ask and check out the fly tying forum here and fly tying faq section --

You might also check around to see if any local shops or FF clubs have tying classes--- this is a good time of year for tying classes since many folks will be suffering from cabin fever. Classes are a great way to learn a ton and get off to a good start, and most tying classes are pretty reasonable in terms of cost.
I appreciate everyones input, this post is the kind of info I was looking for. I know certain tools will do a job better and want to get those (ceramic tubed bobbin). Been reading info from this and other forums trying to learn something.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 PM

I went with the Apex Anvil vise instead of the Peak, nothing against the peak because that is what I wanted, just to get farther with what dollars I could spend. Had to drop some cash on something else just last week so the fly tying funds were robbed.