The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Trout Trash

[img2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/photos/files/4-Print-DeerandTrout_thumb.jpg[/img2]TROUT TRASH

We have all heard the term ‘Trout Bum” and may have even envied the “man” this term brought to mind. We see him as spending endless days on the streams of the world; not just any streams, but those storied rivers of gold that teem with trout, located in the hallowed places of the world. We are excited to hear his story and to vicariously join him on that “Riffle from Heaven”.

But, I am here to tell you there is a higher calling- “Trout Trash”.

You see the Trout Bum is a 20 or 30 something, who has not met the obligations of life, he has never paid off a mortgage, has not sent two kids through college, nor has he paid medical bills that would choke a horse. The Trout Bum is a social climber who measures himself by the car he drives, or by the famous person he once guided from the five-star hotel in Aspen to a two-trout day.

The Trout Bum lives off of his parent’s credit cards or from a check from Mom, mixed with some tips from waiting tables in Steamboat Springs. He is an alpine ski instructor in the winter and marvels when a client of his tips him $10; he then heads to the bar and blows the sawbuck while telling his buddies what a klutz the client had been.

The Trout Bum drives a Volvo, Range Rover or Subaru Outback; a vehicle furnished him when he once went off to college where he stayed enrolled for four semesters before he set out “To find himself”. He wears Ex-Officio, Simms, Orvis, L.L. Bean and Gap. He is topped off with a Thomas & Thomas ball cap that is weathered and frayed, a mark of his years of fishing experience. He hangs out at the Fly Shop and even fills in when the owner is guiding a big tipping customer. He is a gear-head and can tell you the specks of any rod, reel, fly line, fleece jacket, waders or optics in the shop. He is not dumb, he is just a bum.

The Trout Bum is the epitome of unmerited recreation.

Now on the other hand we have “Trout Trash”; a man of 50 or 60’ something, who earned his education by working his way through college. He educated his children all the way through Graduate School, saved his money for retirement, started his own business and succeeded, and drives a Chevrolet or Ford pickup truck. His home is paid for and he is in no man’s debt. He served his country in the military. He has survived medical bills foisted off on him by Mercedes and Porsche driving doctors.

Trout Trash goes to places that Trout Bum will never go; places that have no Famous Western Bar, Starbucks or Pita Pocket sandwiches. Trout Trash will camp streamside in the bed of his pickup to be on the stream while Trout Bum is still in town getting his “latte-double cinnamon” at Chez’ Java in Telluride.

Trout Trash wears Carhartt, Hodgeman, Wal-Mart, and Cabalas; he will drive to any place on the continent but never fly first class. He owns two rods and is thinking about a third. Trout Trash has a set of friends from childhood and is open to any man who is honest.

You can see Trout Trash high up in the mountains on spring creeks, or standing on gravel bars in the Big Rivers, casting, as Trout Bum goes by in a borrowed drift boat. Trout Trash laughs to himself as Trout Bum’s voice carries over the water telling his client that there are no trout in this section of the river and they need to press on to meet the gang for a shore lunch of Brie and Chardonnay.

What can we learn from these two types of fly casters? Can we save the younger from having to eat dog food in his old age or worse yet, eating trout, as he walks to his job as a Wal-Mart greeter. His youth spent being a Trout Bum and Starbucks groupie. Is there hope?

YES, there is hope. Listen to the old Trout Trash when I say…Get A Job and don’t come back to the river until you have retired on your life’s savings, and have supported your family, gotten your education, and served your country.

So, it is my message to Trout Bum to join the US Army and let them teach you responsibility and garner a vision of yourself that is not propped up by a check from Mom.

We will miss you on the stream until you return. In fact we will save a place for you. A place you can wade into with pride. You can rest assured the stream is in good hands.

Trout Trash is the epitome of merited recreation.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:50 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Trout Trash

SOOOOOO TRUE!!!!!!!!!! I just realized that I have about 90% of the characteristics of Trout Trash...now how cool is that!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:50 PM

Paul D will become famous soon enoughPaul D will become famous soon enough

Wow, you need to get that chip off your shoulder before it crushes you. I’d like to propose a third archetype, let’s call him simply, “the flyfisherman.” He doesn’t care what you drive, who you voted for, or what you do for a living as long as you pinch your barbs down, mind your river manners, and clean up after yourself. He doesn’t need to define his leisure or the course of his life in contrast to anyone else’s, and he is neither a stoner trust-funder nor a self aggrandizing flyshop owner from... ahem, Texas. I've noticed a common theme in your "writing" is how all perspectives on life and fishing too disimilar from your own are to be unapologetically dismissed and ridiculed. Or maybe you just know your demographic and are trying to drum up sales. Diatribes like that do a disservice to flyfishermen of all persuasions, and make us all sound like elitest pricks.

This isn't a troll. I'm just a long time lurker who usually enjoys the banter here. I count among my best fishing partners both trust funded guides and retired veterans. The latter often hires the former to take him fishing and everyone gets along just fine.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Paul I gotta step in here. My initial reaction to this little essay had similarities to yours, but I really think you have gone too far. I also think you should go back and see if some of the "writing" you have referred to is in fact from Steve. I say this because when I first read this, I thought it sounded much more like what I would hear from some other members of this group.

I think that the creater of the essay sounds like he has a lot to be rightfully proud of, but also seems bitter if not jealous that some others that enjoy this sport have had a much cushier life than he. I can confidently say that is not what I would expect out of Steve, and I would guess that he just found this essay to be an interesting viewpoint that has not been put forth. Or maybe he figured that if Jeff Foxworthy is by far the most successful comedian EVER, that same audience would relate and like this essay.

I also thought that the essay was more divisive than unifying, and that doesn't really produce positive benefit. On the other hand, most all of us (myself included) have bemoaned bucket sitting bait-fisherfolk, and that's not really unifying either.

Besides all that, how can a guy with over 10 fly rods that loves winston, loomis, and galvan gear call himself trout trash?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about

Hello Paul:

I am certainly happy that you feel passionate about your point of view. And you have a very good one at that. Overall, I agree with your point of view more than I do with the "Trout Trash" post. This post has definitely accomplished what all of my posts are designed to do... and that is to foster communication and discussion among fly fishers. I feel that is one of the responsibilities of any good site administrator or moderator. Without discussion and opposing points of view... this forum would be worth very little.

In my position, I am constantly bombarded with print. I recieve articles, statements and points of views regarding fishing from all over the world. I try to post the most interesting and thought provoking information. Even the ones that I don't personally subscribe to. If the author is known, I always give them credit and a link to their site or email. In this case the author was not known. So why did I post it? Again... to foster communication and to get different points of views.

In the future, I will be more careful to make sure that my posts are not mistaken as my exact point of view. If anyone has such a chip on their shoulder that they were personally offended by my post, then you have my sincere apology... including you Paul. If you dissagree with the message... great. Make a post and discuss your views. Don't shoot the messenger.

Paul, your point of view is always welcome and appreciated on this forum. I do however, think your jabs at me personally were uncalled for.

Thanks Cliff for taking up for me.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 02-16-2006, 10:07 AM

Paul D will become famous soon enoughPaul D will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I will be more careful to make sure that my posts are not mistaken as my exact point of view.
Well, when you post and use words like "I" and "we," how can the reader assume you mean anyone else? Where exactly did this anonymous bit of **** come from? I'm curious. If you honestly disagree with it, I find it interesting that you saw fit to post it without qualification. And if you are truly bombarded with so much "print," why did you post an anonymous, poorly written, spleen venting rant that has nothing to do with fishing? Very curious. Oh, well, slaps on the back all around. Sorry for the mix-up.
Let's change the topic; I suggest: Lower Moutain Fork river slime-the slipperiest rocks on Earth and tips for staying on your feet.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Like I said... I will be more carefull.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. To me, this is a humorous article poking fun at two groups of fly fishers. The author calls one group "Trout Bums" and the other "Trout Trash". There are people who are exactly like the guys he has described. However, there are certainly more groups of fly fishers than just these two. I don't fit into either of the groups he describes. If his definitions are correct... then I am neither a Bum nor Trash. I fit somewhere in between. I also think that the overwhelming majority of other anglers fit somewhere in between.

I doubt that any member of this forum perfectly fits either of those two well defined categories. Nor do I think we should have labels to define what type of angler we are. If we did, what would it be? Perhaps "Trout Tweeners"?

The author is just making fun of the two groups at the extreme end of each spectrum. I don't think this was meant to be serious nor an attack to anyone. Maybe I'm wrong. I do have a warpped sense of humor.

No hard feelings.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

My best advice for staying on your feet in spillway creek is cleated boots with your weight distributed evenly between them, and a staff. Having 280lbs bearing down on those cleats seems to help too, but it also means theres that much more inertia propelling you in unwanted directions once static friction is lost. And we must keep in mind, sliding friction is not nearly as effective as static friction. (this is why ABS brakes were invented)

Steve's mention of other categories of fly anglers gave me an idea, I'll create another thread examining the many categories (some heretofore unidentified) of fly anglers.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Paul, it does not matter one iota if this is how Steve feels or not. The problem here is your disposition and your slanderous way of approaching the issue. You can agree or disagree. That is not the issue. You can voice your oppinion either way as well. There are plenty of things we around here do not agree upon. But you will not be allowed to be rude, condescending, venomous, belittling, or slanderous to any member here. And I would think that you would have second thoughts about trashing on the owner of the site. He is a top notch man who runs a top notch business with some of the best sales ethics I have seen in the industry. Maybe you could get to know people before you pop in here with your first two posts and slam them. My first reaction to reading your post was to send you a severe warning on your account and then to delete your posts. Since I see that it is in discussion I have opted out of that approach and have decided to just remind you that we are to show common decency to each other and treat others how we would wish to be treated. If you have a problem with another member, take it to p.m. Discuss the issues, not the poster.

The bottom line is that you need to approach people with respect or not approach them in this forum at all.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Creel
Like I said... I will be more carefull.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. To me, this is a humorous article poking fun at two groups of fly fishers. The author calls one group "Trout Bums" and the other "Trout Trash". There are people who are exactly like the guys he has described. However, there are certainly more groups of fly fishers than just these two. I don't fit into either of the groups he describes. If his definitions are correct... then I am neither a Bum nor Trash. I fit somewhere in between. I also think that the overwhelming majority of other anglers fit somewhere in between.

I doubt that any member of this forum perfectly fits either of those two well defined categories. Nor do I think we should have labels to define what type of angler we are. If we did, what would it be? Perhaps "Trout Tweeners"?

The author is just making fun of the two groups at the extreme end of each spectrum. I don't think this was meant to be serious nor an attack to anyone. Maybe I'm wrong. I do have a warpped sense of humor.

No hard feelings.
No harm no foul Steve. I don't think I fit either category. I am probably more of a Trout Idiot though I don't exactly know what that is. I just know that when the spring nears and the bugs are on the water, I start walking around in a daze and pretty much must seem like a complete idiot to everyone around me.