The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fast action vs Medium fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I agree with Frank B....I think you need at least one fast rod. For those bigger, heavier, and windy days.
Definitely agree with Frank and Joni, so last summer, I purchased a Sage TCX to use as a streamer rod. It is quite different from my slower trout rods (Winston BIIt and Scott G2).

I can cast the TCX some distance, but my accuracy with it isn't that great. I am sure I just need to spend more time practicing with it, but I just don't enjoy casting with it as much as my slower rods. It is a 6 wt that I purchased for streamer fishing and casting from a kayak. I am considering selling it and buying a slower 7 wt for the same purpose.

Actually, I am interested on what others have done in the same situation and whether I should just hang in there and practice with the TCX or buy a slower 7 wt. Instead of hijacking this thread, I will start a new one with this question.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Always remember...its the arrow, not the Indian.

Are fast action rods harder to cast? You bet! They are harder to get good line feel with, and without that...all is lost. This is why you will find most beginners set ups are a bit on the slow side. Im not saying slow rods are for beginners, as many who cast much better than i prefer them. Fast rods usually have the ability to throw tight fast loops as one can generate higher line speeds with them. This is why imho, they are the preferred tool of the day for most fisherman.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I often see people say that you need to buy a rod that matches "you stroke". At this point I disagree. Yes, there might be an action that you are more comfortable with, but you need to be able to adjust to match the conditions.
That's a good point Muddog - especially for those of us on pretty strict budgets...

I have two Sage TCR's and a TCX that I do most of my intensive casting with in salt water. But am still comfortable with thirty yr. old Sage RPLX's in nine and twelve wts. I've not tried the newer rods in those weights because I don't want to feel deprived.

If you use different rods often enough, lyou will automatically adjust to them within a false cast or two. In fact, I carry an eight wt TCR and a twelve wt RPLX when trying to tease up sailfish. Often dolphin will chase the teaser, and I grab the eight wt., already flied up for dolphin

Same if I am fishing areas frequented by both bonefish and permit - a fast seven and a slow nine. If you fish enough, you can adjust very quickly. I am not even so sure if a fast rod would be better than the slower nine for the very heavy crab flies used for permit fishing.

Cheers,
Jim