The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 10:37 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about
Default Fast action vs Medium fast

I recently bought myself a brand new Scott A3 4wt medium fast action rod (first time I ever bought a brand new rod this nice for myself). I love the rod, but I am used to the fast action on my Sage 5 wt and have to admit that I am having a little trouble getting used to the change in action. I have used the new rod three times and have caught about 16 fish on it. Two days ago I landed a 17 inch rainbow that really fought so I think I am getting the hang of it. Anyone else buy a rod with different action and feel like there was a little adjustment period?

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 12-31-2010, 10:53 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fast action vs Medium fast

When I first started fly fishing I had bought a Martin combo. The rod in that was pretty slow. A few months later I bought a St Croix Triumph that had a med fast action. That took quite a while to get the hang of.

Funny thing is, I tried that old Martin a few months ago and found that I prefer it's slower action rod for dry fly fishing. A lot gentler presentation.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-31-2010, 10:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my rods are fast. My three and four are medium fast. I have to concentrate on slowing down at first, then I get the hang of it.

Most casters can adjust. I am sure that you will be fine with what you got.

MP
Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.....The first biggest change in action was going from a heavy cheapo clunker rod to a lighter rod, but that was pure delight. It was a St. Croix Pro Graphite, and I've bought much lighter rods since, and both medium and fast. None have given me much trouble in casting or fighting fish. My first bamboo rod was a 7' wt, and that rod did require more attention to set larger hooks. I lost several fish until I began using a strip strike on #10 streamers and Wooly Buggers. I have read nymphing articles in which the author expressed a preference for faster/stiffer rods, saying that slower rods dampen sensation enough to miss a take. I really admire Davie McPhail, and he uses a 9' 5wt Sage Z-Axis for non-indicator nymphing.

Of course almost everyone seems to develop a preference for rod action, so you might get responses like "I hate ____ action rods" and "I'll never try a ____ brand rod", but I'm always open to new stuff.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If I go from fishing a fast action rod straight to using my ultra-slow Lamiglas 'Honey', I have problems.
If I fish one of my slow or medium action glass rods then switch to a fast action graphite. It just seems wrong.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I personally enjoy medium and medium fast action rods and really do not have any trouble going between them. However fast action rods just do not feel right to me my first rod was a fast action and I could buy another rod fast enough.

I just can't even wrap my head around why anyone except for perhaps fishing steamers or for steelhead, salmon, stripers. etc. for distance casting on large rivers and horseing in fish would want to use a fast action rod. Then again those who enjoy fast actions probably feel the same about slower action rods.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybum View Post
i just can't even wrap my head around why anyone except for perhaps fishing steamers or for steelhead, salmon, stripers. Etc. For distance casting on large rivers and horseing in fish would want to use a fast action rod. .
Bingo !!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
I just can't even wrap my head around why anyone except for perhaps fishing steamers or for steelhead, salmon, stripers. etc. for distance casting on large rivers and horseing in fish would want to use a fast action rod. Then again those who enjoy fast actions probably feel the same about slower action rods.
For as much as I enjoy a medium fast (in today's terms) rod, I need a fast rod to toss Clouser Minnows on the Delaware River. My wife is a fly angler, and that gives me an opportunity to use two different rods at the same time. This past fall my wife used an 8'6" 4wt and I used the same model rod in a 7'6" 4wt configuration. I thought the 8'6" rod was the ideal light trout rod, but when switching back and forth I found the 7'6" 4wt felt light as feather, and 100X more delicate. My first taste of that actually happened a couple of years ago when we were fishing a lake. I was fishing a St. Croix 7'6" Imperial 4wt, and my wife had a premium Diamondback 8'6" 5wt (a rod that I thought was IT in terms of light weight and finesse. We switched rods after a hour, and I couldn't wait to get that supple little Imperial back: the other rod felt like a telephone pole. We were tossing little Green Weenies to bluegills, so the little rod was the right tool for the job. When I find the ideal do-it-all rod, I'll post my findings here.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Frank B....I think you need at least one fast rod. For those bigger, heavier, and windy days.

I like Medium and even slow (glass and Bamboo slow), but I have no problem switching to my BIIx and tip flex T3. Just got to be aware of what you are doing is all. For me it is more the difference in the fly then the action of the rod.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:10 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Let me be clear at first here. I'm fairly new to this fly fishing thing.

Most of my rods are medium (WW Grigg 5 wt, Redington CT 4 wt, White River 4 wt) and one is a med-fast (TFO 3 wt). I got really comfortable with a medium action.

Still I needed something that could chuck larger streamers and fight some wind on big lakes. I bought a St. Croix Legend Ultra which is a faster action rod. It was hard for me to get used to. I knew it was just me and not the rod since the rod get's great reviews as a good streamer rod and for chucking indicator rigs. I decided to just fish it for awhile and get used to it.

Awhile ago I went back to fishing my Redinton CT 4 wt and wow did it seem slow. but it didn't take me long to get used to it again.

I often see people say that you need to buy a rod that matches "you stroke". At this point I disagree. Yes, there might be an action that you are more comfortable with, but you need to be able to adjust to match the conditions. Faster action rods are just better at beating the wind or chucking streamers. saying you won't use one because they don't match your stroke seems a bit silly.