The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 PM

Bigslugger is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Line to Leader Question

Ok so somehow while practicing my casts my welded loop on my GPX line is gone.

Well here is my question. I know that you can tie a certain line to the fly line and a Perfection Loop at the end of that for no knot leaders. What is this line called? I noticed that it is a redish color.

Also Im going to make my own leaders to save $$$. How should I taper them down with Flouro? 20 to 15 to 10 to 8 to 6 to 4?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Line to Leader Question

Stealhead Guide by John Nagy uses unset Amnesia 15" 25#, 15" 20#, 19" Maxima Chameleon 20#, 16 " Maxima Chameleon 15#, 20" Maxima Chamelion 8#, add tippet of your choice. Adjust for lenght of rod. This length is for 10' rod.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

If you are going to build your leaders, I would suggest that you forget the loop and nail knot the leader onto the line.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bigslugger, Welcome to the forum. Always good to have some fresh faces comin in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigslugger View Post
Ok so somehow while practicing my casts my welded loop on my GPX line is gone.
Did you have anything attatched to the loop?

Well here is my question. I know that you can tie a certain line to the fly line and a Perfection Loop at the end of that for no knot leaders. What is this line called? I noticed that it is a redish color.
This section is called a 'Butt Section' and it is connected to your flyline with either a loop to loop connection, or a blood knot. This section is made from a heavy section of monofilament in the 20-30# pound class.

Also Im going to make my own leaders to save $$$. How should I taper them down with Flouro? 20 to 15 to 10 to 8 to 6 to 4?
If your fishing water that has any abundance of weeds or moss, you may want to reconsider using a hand tied leader, each knot will pick up debris and junk from the water.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 04-07-2009, 12:16 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I use a nail knot. my fly lines never had a loop on it. only disadvatage to this is when you cut of the leader a lil of your flyline gets clipped with it too. that recipe you named sounds good to me. I use 25lb 20lb 15lb 10lb then 8lb tippet for steelies. will drop the tippet smaller if fishing bass. using 5 x tippet instead

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

DOPH!!!
I said a Blood Knot could be used for the Butt Section when connected to the fly line.......I meant a Nail Knot, It was late and I was tired. lol

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bigslugger,

I think you need to take a couple of steps back and get things in order. Here are some suggestions that may help you out.

1. Never practice casting with out a leader and fly attached. Break off the bare part of the hook so you don't hook yourself. You can also used a small piece of yarn for a fly. Use the same length of leader that you fish with.

2. Take a 12" piece of 25lb Amnesia and nail knot it to the tip of your fly line. Place the knot so it is right at the end of the fly line. Coat the knot and the tip of the line with Pliobond or some use Goop. You want to be sure to seal the fly line tip.

3. After 2 above is finished tie a perfection loop in the the end of the Amnesia. I like the Amnesia with the loop to be about 4" long with the loop in it.

4. You now have you fly line with a piece of 25lb Amnesia nail knotted to the end of the fly line with a Perfection Loop tied on the end of the Amnesia. The Amnesia is about 4" long. When you want to add a leader you use the loop in the leader to fasten to the loop in the Amnesia. Now when you change your leader you won't be cutting off any of the fly line or redoing the nail knot. If the leader doesn't have a loop on the end, tie a Perfection Loop on the big end of the leader and loop it to the Amnesia.

You broke the welded loop off of the fly line do to cracking-the-whip. The leader should help stop this. If you still hear the cast popping you are not waiting long enough before changing the direction of you cast. That is, not waiting long enough before making the transition form the back cast to the fore cast. I think a casting lesson would help you out a lot. Check with your local fly shop or a fly fishing club.

I suggest you use a commercial leader until you are casting well. Introducing a tied leader into the equations will make this harder for you. When the leader doesn't' perform you won't know if it is the leader, your setup or your casting.

Frank

Frank
Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

If you want the loop back in the fly line you can always tie one back in. Bend back 1/2" of you fly line, wrap it with fine mono or fly tieing thread, whip finish then apply some Goop.

P.S. Frank is 100% correct, never practice casting without a leader and some sort of a fly on the line. You will adjust to casting with just the line then introducing a leader and fly will throw you off. Introducing a large fly will make you rip the hair out of your head.
Practice DOES NOT make perfect.
Perfect practice makes perfect...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0322090720.jpg (64.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 PM

Bigslugger is on a distinguished road

Lesson learned. I thought I would practice without a leader and fly to make my life easier

I defiantly heard cracking noise, which explains why it broke off
Old 04-07-2009, 07:37 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigslugger View Post
Lesson learned. I thought I would practice without a leader and fly to make my life easier

I defiantly heard cracking noise, which explains why it broke off
Yup, I did it to. My fly line sounded like a lion tamer's whip. LOL I remember thinking, that can't be right...